As the European number one in defence electronics and the world number two in defence radio communications, Thales is a leading name in the global defence and security markets. In addition to equipping over 40 naval forces across the globe, we have a proud 125-year heritage here in the UK. Today that is represented in our key role delivering the Queen Elizabeth Class aircraft carrier and our programmes include the world's most advanced, fully integrated, passive and active search and attack sonar suite fitted to the new Astute Class submarine.
As our Marine Operations Manager you will work with the Project Manager in the UK and our ship yard partner in Asia on a new programme delivering a complete naval platform upgrade for an International Navy. Working predominantly out in Thailand you will partner with our in country ship yard to ensure a robust plan is followed for the ship refurbishment allowing for the seamless integration of technology delivered by Thales UK at the correct times in the programme.
- Responsibility for ensuring that the ships are refurbished and ready to receive the equipment, completion of integration and commissioning and up-to completion of customer acceptance
- Act as visible management on day to day activities and meetings when in country at all times representing the interest of Thales and the project
- Partner with the ship yard and their suppliers to develop and implement a schedule of work for refurbishment activities that integrates into the overall project delivery programme
- Manage and monitor day to day ship refurbishment and upgrade activities undertaken by the ship yard and their associated suppliers
- Support the ship yard to approve material, equipment and manpower, ensuring it meets the projects needs
- Work with the ship yard and the UK Project Team to ensure that the installation design and equipment supplied is successfully installed on the platforms
- Identify and mitigate any risks and issues whether with the platform refurbishment activities or the design of equipment supplied from Europe
- Support the development, implementation and monitoring of appropriate health and safety management plans and safe systems of work for both national and non-national workers on site
- Advise on the planning and working of multiple suppliers being on site in support of the delivery schedule.
Skills qualifications and experience
- First-hand experience in the operational delivery of refurbishing civil or military ships from within a ship yard, operator or technology provider
- Internationally flexible to be located in Thailand or spend 80% of time in country with base in UK
- Confident communicator with experience of delving complex projects within stringent time and budget parameters
- Champion of best practice in the area of ship refurbishment and upgrades
If you are working for a naval operator, ship yard or technology provider and looking for a fresh challenge in an international role then please click apply