|Job Ref:||204583841||Employer:||cv-library.co.uk||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United Kingdom||County/State:||Yorkshire||City:||Leeds||Address:||Post Code:||LS7||Salary:||£60000/annum exceptional benefits||Post Date:||28/09/2016 04:25|
Central Leeds, West Yorkshire
Salary up to £60,000 + exceptional benefits
Newman Stewart are currently working with a leading scientific research organisation to appoint an experienced Data Scientist who will lead, support and provide direction for a dedicated group of scientific data curators and knowledge scientists.
This challenging and pivotal role requires an individual with strong data mining and manipulation skills who will champion the move towards automated data collection/curation and provide technical solutions to any issues encountered. The role also requires a leader who can provide strategic direction to the team in order to help align the Data Teams' function in terms of internal and external use cases.
The ideal candidate will be highly collaborative, able to quickly form close working relationships with their internal peers and also external scientists. Driven by a strong desire to improve data gathering, they will also support personal development within the Data Team.
* Developing and maintaining a consistent data acquisition strategy to meet both internal and external needs
* Creating efficient methods to find, extract, curate, store and retrieve data in readiness for knowledge development
* Design and maintain domain specific data models and associated data transformations
* Identify relevant ontologies and develop new ones when necessary
* Investigate, identify and integrate data mining and machine learning requirements in the information model
* Drive progress by implementing appropriate ways of working in collaboration with other teams
* Managing and successfully delivering collaborative data sharing projects with external partners
* Helping members of the Data Team increase their technical knowledge and skills and the identification & implementation of technical solutions to improve Data Team performance and issue resolution
* Regularly liaises with the Software Development Team to ensure that the bespoke software meets the needs of the Data Team
* Providing advice relating to the acquisition and storage of scientific data to other functions and teams.
Skills and Experience Required
* A Degree (or equivalent) in Data Science, Computer Science, Chemistry, Biology, Informatics or a related discipline (a PhD in any would also be desirable)
* Excellent knowledge of databases, including schema design and ontologies
* A solid understanding of life sciences, chemical and biological data models
* Experience of designing semantic information models using ontologies
* Proven leadership skills encompassing negotiating and influencing
* Ability to implement technical solutions to complex problems in support of data entry/standardisation and data import
* Able to envisage and implement innovative ways of working
* Experience of text mining applied to data extraction and curation for modelling
This is an outstanding opportunity within a challenging, fast-paced and dynamic business. Interested parties should apply accordingly or contact Phil Booth in the first instance for a confidential conversation. Contact details can be found via the Newman Stewart website.
Newman Stewart is a privately owned, leading provider of Executive Search, Management Selection, Executive Outplacement, Salary Benchmarking and Psychometric Assessment services. With offices in Wetherby, Leeds and London we identify excellent people for our excellent clients, nationally and internationally and we are proud of the results that we deliver