|Job Ref:||204583645||Employer:||cv-library.co.uk||Industry:||Civil and Structural||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United Kingdom||City:||Cambridge||Address:||Post Code:||CB1||Post Date:||20/10/2016 02:10|
Are you an experienced product designer that is looking for a new challenge and a leadership role in a world class design and development agency? Our Cambridge based client is looking for a Principal / Lead Product Designer to join their growing capability in product design. You will be: |
* Passionate about human-centred design and the interaction of people and technology in consumer and industrial products.
* Highly skilled in leading design through pre-concept and concept development, but also experienced in bringing ideas into reality, through to market launch and beyond.
* Able to strategically build business around product design excellence.
* Experienced in exploring visual language and branding.
* Enthusiastic about the ability of good design to delight the customer and able to evangelise within teams and to clients.
* Able to create innovative solutions to problems and communicate them effectively to market stakeholders.
The purpose of the job is to take a key a leadership role within the company and there are three aspects to this:
1. Design Leadership: To mentor and lead less experienced designers in both the quality of their work and its relevance to the client; helping them to decide the best way to communicate ideas. In addition be willing to challenge the client and champion the role of the design in innovation.
2. Senior Practitioner: To produce excellent design work, both on critical projects (where seniority is required) and in front of the client, when exploring ideas in a workshop environment. To feel at home in a design conference, mixing with leading designers in our industry sector.
3. Evangelist: To support business development, being able to join (typically) second meetings and actively engage with potential clients to understand their problem and our value in solving it.
As a senior member of the team, you will take a leading role in a multi-disciplinary team of technicians, engineers, consultants and designers. Your responsibilities will include:
* Leading the ID components of a development programme. Definition of ID and brand solutions for product developments and working closely with the wider development teams.
* Involvement in the generation of concepts and product architectures.
* Communicating design ideas through high quality sketching, illustration, informatics and, potentially, CAD.
* Working with business developers to explore clients' needs and identify new areas of growth, especially in pre-concept and concept phases of development.
* Planning design and development programs with project management and, if relevant, leading those programs.
* Writing technical reports and producing high quality design documentation.
You will have:
* An excellent degree in industrial design, human centred design, or product design from a leading institution.
* Significant experience in product design and development, with a bias towards pre-concept and concept development and evidence of technical skill in design and visual communication.
* Design leadership or evidence of readiness for a leadership role.
* Proven track record of working in concurrent teams with engineers and manufacturers across different disciplines, especially with products brought to market.
* Experience in client facing roles at mid to high level, communicating and working with stakeholders to balance client and customer needs.
* Developing and influencing the design offering of your employer(s) or clients(s)