Thales people design solutions that enable two thirds of planes to take off and land safely. We create in-flight entertainment systems that engross 50 million fliers every year and we develop the avionics that control the world’s largest commercial aircrafts. In the UK, our simulators train the next generation of pilots for fighter jets, transporters and search and rescue helicopters. And, together, each and every member of our aerospace team makes a difference. |
The Product Line Manager (PLM) is the ‘business owner' of a product line. The Product Line Manager generates and drives implementation of a product line plan. The product line generally consists of a range of legacy products, new products and a future product line vision for a single type of product, or related range of products.
The key purpose of the role is to define and coordinate the implementation of a clear and unambiguous product line plan. In terms of new products, or product evolutions, a clear understanding of the market needs and value proposition (both external and internal) needs to be developed and approved. The product line plan may also include end-of-life plans for legacy products. Components of planning include coordination of market intelligence and customer feedback into a coherent view of the market, development of business cases to support product line investment, development of key plans for product line success, such as commercialization plans, support plans, marketing plans, and manufacturing plans. Overall, the Product Line Manager overseas the commercial success of the Product Line and ensures the organisation is engaged in plans to ensure product line success.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- Evaluation of accessible market, expected market evolution and competitor assessment
- Definition of high-level new product requirements and market positioning, including consideration and management of existing legacy products. Key considerations will be strategic directives, existing technical capabilities and funding capacity
- Definition of planned sales channels and volumes, and strategy for those channels
- Management of the introduction strategy, including required sales structure, support, marketing and sales collateral, target industry events and target clients.
- Defining and managing target and forecast product cost, both recurring and non-recurring.
- Assessment of potential suppliers and partners and support to make/team/buy scenario analysis
- Calculation of overall financial business case (cashflow, IRR, NPV, payback) including sensitivity to key variables/uncertainties
- Create and maintain the resulting product plan, including:
- Hold decision reviews
- Reporting plan progress, plan evolution, and key risks.
- Monitoring progress on key funding and sales opportunities
- Supporting the bid/proposal managers for associated opportunities
- Development and implementation of support and manufacturing plans with other parts of the organization
- The ideal candidate will have be from a Marketing or Business development background from a high-technology business-to-business industry.
- Previous experience within the following sectors:
- Product management
- Strategic and/or product marketing
- Creation of business cases
- Understanding and ability to analyse markets
- Demonstrable ability to influence and set company policy and plans
- Demonstrable ability to work effectively in large multinational and matrix organisations
- Desirable experience in the following sectors:
- Aerospace Markets
- Satellite communication technology
- Degree in a relevant Business/Sales/Marketing course or technical or project management background but has transitioned away from this type of work and will have demonstrable Business Management experience, including the ability to think strategically and be competent with the necessary financial analysis to create business cases
Play a key role within a forward thinking organisation, apply now