|Job Ref:||SME16-5810-H||Employer:||General Dynamics US||Industry:||Manufacturing||Country:||United States||City:||Saco||Address:||Post Date:||20/10/2016 05:14|
Join our General Dynamics team at Saco Operations! |
The Tool and Cutter Grinder responsibilities include:
• - Make, modify, develop or sharpen metal removal cutting tools.
• - Study specifications such as blueprint, sketch or verbal description and plans sequence of operations.
• - Program and operate Walter CNC grinder to specified blueprint.
• - Set up and operate a variety of CNC and conventional grinding machines.
• - Follow established company directives, policies, military specifications, quality documents and manufacturing instructions.
High School Diploma or GED required. Associate's degree in machining technology or apprenticeship preferred.
Works with integrity in all aspects of work and able to work collaboratively with various functional groups.
Follows safety practices and policies, maintaining a safety minded culture. Keeps work area clean and orderly, apply LEAN and 6S principles to work.
6 to 8 years of Tool and Cutter Grind experience.
Knowledgeable of the machine ability ratings of materials, and is capable of calculating speeds and feeds for various materials.
Understands the variables that contribute to premature cutter failure, such as, lack of rigidity in set-up, improper speeds and/or feeds, incorrect clearance angles, chip loads, coolant flow, etc.
Must be knowledgeable of cutting tool alloys and mechanical properties such as abrasion resistance, toughness, and heat resistant capabilities of high-speed steels and carbide alloys.
Understands and applies cutting tool geometry and functions of the various angles such as radial and axial rake, chamfer and clearance angles, radii, etc.
Aware of the causes of cutting tool failures, such as cratering of HSS and carbide cutters, abrasion, chipping, and breakage problems, etc.
Adept with applying cutter applications, cutter nomenclature, and styles of cutters.
Applies knowledge of cutter design, construction, and geometries, metal properties, grinding machine set-up techniques and procedures, and abrasive types.