|Job Ref:||204603323||Employer:||cv-library.co.uk||Industry:||Civil and Structural||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United Kingdom||County/State:||Warwickshire||City:||Solihull||Address:||Post Code:||B91||Post Date:||18/10/2016 14:11|
Rail CAD Technician,West Midlands|
Why Arup?Arup is a firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services NA are different to most other consultants. As we are employee-owned, we are not bound by shareholder or other external pressures, which allows us to be selective about the work we pursue, seeking out projects that will push, develop and engage our staff, and shape a better world.
Arup,Rail:We are a key player in the Rail market and are currently engaged in significant projects across the UK and overseas. As part of a network of 14 UK offices and a Rail Business involved in projects such as HS1, HS2, Crossrail, Kings Cross Station and Ipswich Chord, our current projects include a feasibility study for Clapham Junction - one of the busiest transport hubs in Europe, Leicester Station Capacity improvements for Carillion, Water Orton corridor AiP designs for Network Rail's HS2 Enabling Works, the London to West Midlands Hybrid Bill for HS2, Metropolitan Line Extension detailed design for LUL and Vinci, Rail Engineering Technical Adviser roles on High Speed and Freight Lines worldwide, Calder Valley GRIP 5 Signalling and the Ferriby to Gilberdyke Resignalling project.
The Role: We are looking for a talented and enthusiastic CAD Technician to join our lively Rail design team in Solihull.
As a CAD Technician with Arup, you be responsible for the production of CAD drawings for the Railway team and provide support to the more junior members of the team during their on-going training and development. You will assist the management of the CAD production on projects, including checking calculations and drawings, and assisting in managing CAD staff workload allocation and reporting.
Day to day the role of a CAD Technician will include:
* Producing CAD design drawings being issued from the design team and through your work demonstrating the high quality of CAD product that is expected from design teams;
* Your work content will include: civil engineering and railways CAD drawing production or modifications; production of 3D-modelling; spreadsheet work; and some project administration, such as maintaining orderly drawing registers and records of incoming and outgoing drawings.
* Also responsible for providing simple civil engineering and railway design input and simple calculations under mentorship to multidisciplinary design teams on small to medium sized projects.
* You will be responsible for own activities to agreed timescales, where you will be able to demonstrate your ability to plan and manage the work of yourself and others within the defined scope of a small task or activity.
The role offers scope for personal skill development, especially in relation to increasing railway and civil engineering CAD drawing and design expertise and experience and the application of BIM. Continual development under a Training Agreement will be put in place enabling career advancement up to IEng.
Essential Skills and Knowledge required:
* Experienced in the use of design software packages (i.e. MicroStation, Bentley Rail Track, TerraModelling, ClearRoute, etc) will be necessary.
* Experience of working as a Technician in an engineering design environment
* Basic underpinning knowledge of railway, civil engineering, geotechnical and structural engineering design principles;
* Familiar in providing CAD documentation to Client requirements, and understand the CAD management requirements within a small team or project;
* Familiarity with Railway safety criteria and/or procedure.
* Good GCSE/O Level grades are essential.
* A qualification in CAD or other drawing application would be an advantage;
Desirable Skills and Knowledge:
* Experience of other software tools (ProjectWise, Project Programming, Microsoft Office etc) would be desirable;
* Experience of developing 3D model and/or application of BIM procedures would be a benefit
* Committed to quality, accuracy, timeliness and efficiency in delivering allocated tasks;
* Outgoing, and able to communicate effectively with colleagues and clients, whether verbally, or through specifications and drawings;
* Good attention to detail and able to resolve conflicting requirements.
What we're looking for in you:You will be enthusiastic in delivering efficient and high quality CAD drawings of basic civil engineering and railway designs and calculations within an implementation project, renewals, or amendments resultant from other Railway asset renewals.
Rewards & Benefits:We offer a competitive salary at all levels and one of the best benefits package in our sector. Core benefits include Private Medical Insurance, Life Assurance, Accident Assurance and Income Protection cover. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefit Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash or spend on a wide range of Choice benefits to help you with your work/life balance and financial NA addition all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share Scheme where employees could receive two Profit Share payments per year.
Arup is a place where creativity, innovation and exciting technical challenges are always possible;we are part of a team that enjoys what they do, embracing a unique culture. As a global firm we can develop careers in the UK or abroad through international assignments and projects. If you share our passion, why not talk to us about a rewarding career with Arup