|Job Ref:||142593BR||Employer:||AECOM||Country:||United Kingdom||City:||Newcastle||Address:||Post Code:||NE2||Post Date:||30/09/2016 11:47|
Why Choose AECOM?
AECOM is a premier, fully integrated professional and technical services firm positioned to design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets around the world for public- and private-sector clients. With nearly 100,000 employees - including architects, engineers, designers, planners, scientists and management and construction services professionals - serving clients in over 150 countries around the world, AECOM is ranked as the #1 engineering design firm by revenue in Engineering News-Record magazine's annual industry rankings, and has been recognized by Fortune magazine as a World's Most Admired Company. The firm is a leader in all of the key markets that it serves, including transportation, facilities, environmental, energy, oil and gas, water, high-rise buildings and government. AECOM provides a blend of global reach, local knowledge, innovation and technical excellence in delivering customized and creative solutions that meet the needs of clients' projects. A Fortune 500 firm, AECOM companies, including URS Corporation and Hunt Construction Group, have annual revenue of approximately $19 billion. More information on AECOM and its services can be found at ;NA.
About the Business Line
We provide professional services in areas such as aviation, transit, freight rail, highways and bridges, planning, and ports and marine. Our global network of top-tier specialists delivers comprehensive services over the full life cycle of a project to benefit clients in government and private industries.
We are currently recruiting for Bridge Design Engineers to join our busy and expanding Bridges & Structures team in our centrally located Newcastle office.
Our Newcastle office has an established track record of successfully delivering bridge engineering schemes for over 75 years, mainly in the North East but also throughout the UK and overseas. The team provides assessment, concept, feasibility, preliminary and detailed designs on a wide range of schemes, either as standalone bridge commissions or as part of multidisciplinary major projects. Our clients are from the private and public sector and include long term Framework Agreements with numerous North East Local Authorities together with Design and Build commissions for many major Contractors.
Recently won projects include a major UK 5 year rail network infrastructure framework assessment contract and we are at present completing the design of the major dualling of the A1 in North Yorkshire. In addition to the significant long term commissions on bridge assessment and inspection, principally in the rail environment, our initial assessment often leads to the requirement for the design of the refurbishment, strengthening or replacement.
As a Bridge Engineer you will have the following daily responsibilities:
• Assist with the development of design concepts, carrying out detailed design where appropriate.
• Undertaking detailed bridge inspections and subsequent Level 1 and 2 assessments of all types of rail under and over bridges.
• Produce detailed design information including calculations and design sketches.
• Liaise with CAD Technician for production of drawings.
• Plan and carry out site inspections of structures.
• Prepare technical reports.
• Carry out risk assessments and provision of design information for Health and Safety file.
• Assist with fee proposals.
• Analysis and detailed design of road/rail bridges and other structures.
• Inspection, assessment and strengthening of road/rail bridges and other structures.
• Report writing and production of technical reports and documents.
• Relevant experience in inspection and assessment of bridges and other transportation structures.
• Experience in reviewing / interpreting historical drawings, examination reports and historical records.
• Experience in planning and undertaking bridge inspections.
• Knowledge and working understanding of the client's Codes of Practice NR/SP/CIV/035 'Assessment of structures' & NR/GN/CIV/025 'The Structural Assessment of Underbridges' or the Highway equivalent codes of BD21, BD44, BD56 & BD61.
• Experience in the production of bridge assessment documentation including Interim reports, Form AA and Form BA's.
• Competence to minimum unit STE 4 level in accordance with NR/SP/CTM/017. Unit STE 2 competence would be advantageous.
• Experience in the use of computer modelling for structural analysis (i.e. Structural Bridge Design, LUSAS, SuperSTRESS, Archie-M, RING).
• Degree educated or equivalent in a relevant subject such as Bridge, Civil or Structural Engineering.
• Ideally educated to MSc level or equivalent.
• Graduate member of ICE or IstructE, and on route to gaining Chartered status.
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.