|Job Ref:||142594BR||Employer:||AECOM||Country:||United States||County/State:||Oregon||City:||Albany||Address:||Post Date:||30/09/2016 11:47|
Why Choose AECOM?
AECOM is a premier, fully integrated professional and technical services firm positioned to design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets around the world for public- and private-sector clients. With nearly 100,000 employees - including architects, engineers, designers, planners, scientists and management and construction services professionals - serving clients in over 150 countries around the world, AECOM is ranked as the #1 engineering design firm by revenue in Engineering News-Record magazine's annual industry rankings, and has been recognized by Fortune magazine as a World's Most Admired Company. The firm is a leader in all of the key markets that it serves, including transportation, facilities, environmental, energy, oil and gas, water, high-rise buildings and government. AECOM provides a blend of global reach, local knowledge, innovation and technical excellence in delivering customized and creative solutions that meet the needs of clients' projects. A Fortune 500 firm, AECOM companies, including URS Corporation and Hunt Construction Group, have annual revenue of approximately $19 billion. More information on AECOM and its services can be found at NA.
About the Business Line
We address the complete spectrum of energy challenges, including clean and renewable energy, energy efficiency and carbon management, hydropower and dams, thermal, geothermal and wind power generation, and transmission and distribution.
AECOM is seeking a Research and Development Scientist 6 for our Albany Oregon Site.
1) The R&D support shall be provided by a person with a degree in Materials Science/Engineering or another science/engineer degree with at least fifteen years of experience with specialization that includes high temperature molten slags and slag chemistry, arc furnace melting, and predicting the viscosity of slags.
This background will support individual or team Research and Development efforts involving:
a. Applying expertise in melting/fabrication operations;
b. Construction and maintenance of new and existing melting/furnace equipment;
c. Acquistion, analyses, and interpretation of highly complex data;
d. Optimization of novel reactions involved in making covetically bonded alloys;
e. Optimization of slag formulation for electroslag melted ingots;
f. Applying knowledge of characterization methods be able to adapt to those practiced and/or under development at NETL.
g. Provide professional level expertise to produce alloys necessary for experimental verification of computational simulations and also provide insights into alloy processing for input to models.
2) The candidate will provide R&D support to NETL-AECOM efforts items listed in 1 a-g (see above). Responsibilities include providing broad based technical support; including the identification of research areas and approaches, the development of test plans, and conducting the planned research.
3) The individual will have demonstrated abilities organizing data (originating from their work or the work of the team), writing technical papers for peer reviewed journals, and in presenting that data.
4) The candidate will have the ability to work as a team member or as an individual researcher on one or more projects.
5) A progress update will be due by the end of each month briefly describing the accomplishments from that month and forecasting the next month's research activities. Also, the applicant will include the relevant status of patents, publications or presentations. Reported information concerning publications and presentations shall include full title of the projects, author listing and journal or society name.
6) An update will be due by the end of the quarter briefly describing that quarter's accomplishments.
7) The candidate will participate in group meetings. Group meetings are designed to allow the applicant to discuss current research and promote discussion with team members on project areas. Group meetings occur on a regularly scheduled basis, with additional meetings on short notice. The candidate should be proficient in creating PowerPoint presentations as requested for group meetings. The frequency of these presentations is varied.
8) This position requires an extensive knowledge of arc furnace melting with a preference in high performance specialty alloys. Experience in an industrial and/or a US government laboratory with a strong commitment to safety is preferred.
9) This position will require extensive interface with customers and potential collaborative partners, so excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
Bachelors degree and 15 years of job-related experience in biology, chemistry, economics, geology, physics, mathematic or related scientific field or a Masters degree and 10 years of experience or a Ph.D and 7 years of experience or equivalent. Excellent communications and analytical skills, working knowledge of computer systems and integrated software application programs. Position may require travel. Position may require the ability to pass and maintain a security clearance.
MS/PhD in Materials Science/Engineering
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow.
AECOM is an equal opportunity employer and Minorities, Females, Veterans, and Disabled persons are encouraged to apply. For further information, please click here to view the EEO Is The Law poster.