Why Choose AECOM?
AECOM is a premier, fully integrated professional and technical services firm positioned to design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets around the world for public- and private-sector clients. With nearly 100,000 employees - including architects, engineers, designers, planners, scientists and management and construction services professionals - serving clients in over 150 countries around the world, AECOM is ranked as the #1 engineering design firm by revenue in Engineering News-Record magazine's annual industry rankings, and has been recognized by Fortune magazine as a World's Most Admired Company. The firm is a leader in all of the key markets that it serves, including transportation, facilities, environmental, energy, oil and gas, water, high-rise buildings and government. AECOM provides a blend of global reach, local knowledge, innovation and technical excellence in delivering customized and creative solutions that meet the needs of clients' projects. A Fortune 500 firm, AECOM companies, including URS Corporation and Hunt Construction Group, have annual revenue of approximately $19 billion. More information on AECOM and its services can be found at NA.
About the Business Line
AECOM Shared Services
We support our employees globally by coordinating and managing the day-to-day operations of General Accounting, Human Resources, Administration, Marketing and Information Technology. We pride ourselves on ensuring we deliver the best customer service possible to our people while building trust and relationships with all of our constituents.
The Assistant Legal Counsel, Africa will be part of the AECOM Africa Legal Team, you will work with the two lawyers on all legal matters impacting AECOM across Africa, including contracts, compliance matters, corporate matters and claims as well as administrative support, and, ideally, will have sufficient company secretarial experience to have a significant role in managing AECOM's company secretarial process throughout Africa.
The role includes, but not limited to the following activities:
- Counsel will develop a detailed knowledge of the laws, policies and procedures that apply to AECOM Africa.
- Counsel will use his or her best endeavours to assist the lawyers in the AECOM legal team with their day to day functions and to provide legal and or administrative support to the legal team where required.
- Counsel will use his or her best endeavours to ensure that AECOM Africa complies with all company secretarial aspects applicable to AECOM's operations in Africa.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Day-to-day activities for the legal function and legal responsibilities of AECOM across Africa in coordination with the other Counsel.
- Reviewing and advising on all legal documents executed by AECOM, including tender documents, contracts, employment agreements, MoUs, and bonds.
- Advising AECOM on its rights and responsibilities under applicable laws.
- Advising on AECOM's responsibilities and minimizing AECOM's risks under applicable ethics and compliance laws and regulations.
- Support the lawyers in the team with day to day administration such as invoice capturing, keeping databases and records up to date and maintaining records. Assisting with ensuring compliance with AECOM's policies and procedures, including the Delegations of Authority, and with applicable laws.
- Providing proactive, solutions focused, legally sound advice and support in a timely fashion to AECOM Africa.
- The role covers all legal issues impacting AECOM Africa, which include but are not limited to the following:
- Matters relating to AECOM'S obligations under ethics and compliance related laws (e.g. US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and the UK Bribery Act), policies and procedures (both external and internal).
- Matters relating to the operation of AECOM's business, including but not limited to directors' and officers' duties, HR related matters, property related matters, and corporate initiatives (possibly including mergers and acquisitions.
- Dispute resolution:
- Matters relating to the assessing, managing, reporting on and negotiating the closure disputes between AECOM and other parties.
- Matters relating to the structure, formation, operation and liquidation of the legal entities for AECOM and company secretariat matters.
- General Support and administrative function:
- Administrative related functions required to be performed by the legal team, from time to time, which include, amongst other things, capturing, coding and maintaining legal counsel invoices, maintaining and updating electronic databases of legal matters and legal costs, updating legal tracker documents and general administrative support (which includes the making of photocopies and scanning of legal document.
Minimum 1 (one) years post admission experience is required.
Qualities and attributes:
The following experience is strongly desirable:
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal).
- Thorough - attention to detail.
- Ability to excel under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
- Ability to work with cross-disciplined, multi-jurisdictional internal and external clients.
- Team player plus ability to work autonomously.
- High level of client service.
- Agility in changing circumstances.
- Can do attitude and willingness to perform assigned tasks.
- Top tier law firm experience.
- African Region experience.
- Company secretary experience.
- Multi-national corporation experience.
- US corporation experience.
- Ethics and compliance experience.
- Strong contracts capabilities and experience.
- Construction / engineering industry experience.
- Bachelor of Laws from a reputable university.
- A current practicing certificate is preferred.
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.