Requisition ID: |
Bechtel has partnered with United Kingdom's Ministry of Defence to help transform the Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S) organisation. The DE&S organisation develops, procures and supports all military equipment for the British Armed Forces, and has prioritised mission delivery at an improved value for the taxpayer. Our support role is focused on supporting the Fleet and Air Domains. Bechtel's support role is to provide a combination of project management and project controls expertise, as well as supplier management, technology/engineering/safety management and organisational transformation skills and experience. The roles are expected to be advisory in character, with the need to influence without authority, lead by example and work collaboratively across the organisation's multiple delivery partners. The rolerequires a UK security clearance.
Plans and coordinates engineering work on one extremely large complex project, more than one lesser project or designated large engineering assignments (program) within a global business unit. Has full technical responsibility for interpreting, organizing, executing, and coordinating assignments. Is responsible for acting independently on engineering matters pertaining to the project, projects or designated large engineering assignments.
- In consultation with Manager of Engineering and Chief Engineers, makes the initial selection of project engineer management team (Project Engineers/Project Engineering Managers), and Engineering Supervisors on new projects, for engineering management/project management and client approval.
- Directs and provides technical and administrative guidance to assigned Project and/or discipline Engineers in the management of engineering projects.
- Reviews staffing plans on all assignments.
- Conducts annual performance reviews in accordance with approved procedures and holds career development discussions.
- Participates in project planning prior to proposals to provide technical guidance in the engineering and construction review of proposals.
- Inputs to, owns and reviews project schedules and approves staffing estimates for engineering personnel for new proposals and jobs as assigned.
- Keeps informed on the status of all projects involving assigned personnel with respect to schedule, budget, work quality and client satisfaction, and contributes leadership, experience and expertise in the solution of difficult problems.
- Inputs to and owns the engineering elements of a project capital estimate (proposals and execution) quantities and budgets.
- Reviews major changes or deviations in project scope, project material quantities, budget or schedule, and assists particularly with defining the change, obtaining accurate estimates of the hours involved, and recommending budget adjustment.
- Monitors the use of available engineering computer programs, technical advances and engineering management control techniques on the projects assigned.
- Formulates and recommends for approval, engineering plans and programs for assigned projects.
- Champions the creation of a work environment, supported by leadership, which fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction on the project or program.
- Extensive technical knowledge of engineering systems, engineering calculations, applications of engineering methods and materials and applications of computers 2-D and 3-D computer aided design (CAD) and computer aided engineering (CAE) to engineering problems.
- Proficient knowledge of global business unit activities and operations including business development, legal, procurement, construction, environmental safety and health (ES&H), and quality assurance.
- Broad knowledge of industry/regulatory codes and standards, Bechtel Standard Application Programs (BSAPs), Engineering Department Procedures, and project controls and design criteria in all engineering disciplines.
- Broad knowledge of administrative practices.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills.
- Proficient in negotiation for dealing with client representatives. .
The above is normally acquired through:
Shaping tomorrow together
- A recognized degree in architecture, engineering or scientific discipline from an accredited college or university, AND
- A professional license in an engineering discipline, or a license to practice architecture from a recognized licensing board, AND
- Specialized courses in relevant general engineering, architectural design or an appropriate engineering discipline, AND
- Extensive progressive work experience, including supervision, preferably in project and staff design engineering or architectural design or other relevant types of engineering such as systems startup, field engineering or plant operation in large industrial plants, utilities, process plants or engineering/construction firms.
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right-no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected
veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.