- Job Title: Project Engineer DE&S
- Requisition ID: 177264
- Relocation Authorized: National - Single
- Project: Defence Equipment and Support
- Other Requirements: Ability to obtain and maintain security clearance
Bechtel has partnered with United Kingdom's Ministry of Defence to help transform the Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S) organization. The DE&S organization develops, procures and supports all military equipment for the British Armed Forces, and has prioritized mission delivery at an improved value for the taxpayer. Our support role is focused on supporting the Fleet and Air Domains. Bechtel's support role is to provide a combination of project management and project controls expertise, as well as supplier management, technology/engineering/safety management and organizational transformation skills and experience. The roles are expected to be advisory in character, with the need to influence without authority, lead by example and work collaboratively across the organization's multiple delivery partners. The rolerequires a UK security clearance.
Supervises the engineering activity on a project, or designated portions of a project, for a global business unit. Plans and directs engineering assignments on the project. Has technical responsibilities for interpreting, organising, executing, and coordinating these assignments.
- Directs and coordinates engineering activities for the project or assigned portion including supervision of engineers of all disciplines within a global business unit.
- Establishes or assists in establishing the detailed project execution plan and the development of the overall project engineering budget and schedule. Inputs to and owns the engineering elements of a project capital estimate (proposals and execution) quantities and budgets.
- Performs and manages the work in accordance with relevant Engineering Department Procedures (EDPs), design guides and Bechtel Standard Application Programs (BSAPs).
- Develops design and procurement schedules for approval.
- Prepares, approves or recommends approval of project procedures for engineering, as required.
- Coordinates engineering effort with Project Manager, Procurement, Construction, Environmental Safety and Health (ES&H) and Project Controls when assigned.
- When assigned directs engineering activities in preparation of project proposals, including estimates for engineering staffing, quantities, scope reviews, schedules and coordination with Business Development and other functional groups.
- Conducts annual performance reviews in accordance with approved procedures and holds career development discussions.
- Reviews and approves design documents, change orders, material requisitions and specifications for construction or procurement use.
- Supervises the preparation of, reviews and endorses bid analyses and recommendations for procurement of equipment material and services within Engineering's scope of responsibility.
- Resolves field initiated questions on engineering.
- Coordinates activities among the design groups on the project.
- Initiates requests for specialised professional services
- Initiates Bechtel/Client correspondence related to the engineering portion of the contract
- Reviews project engineering progress against approved schedules, evaluates changes and takes corrective action when required
- Makes recommendation to Engineering Management of key personnel for project assignments
- Manages the flow of information required from third parties to assure the timely progress of the engineering work
- Prepares or directs the preparation of project studies, reports, forecasts, special engineering reports and plant data book
- Ensures that Technical Risk Assessments are comprehensive and complete, safety practices and procedures are implemented, and engineering design and corresponding design documentation are in compliance with project Quality Assurance plan and procedures
- Communicates complex technical issues and recommends solutions to client, project and functional management as directed and as appropriate.
- Champions the creation of a project work environment, supported by leadership on the project/program, which fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction.
The above is normally acquired through:
- Technical knowledge of related engineering systems, engineering calculations, applications of engineering and construction methods and materials, and engineering application of computers
- Proficient knowledge of project engineering processes and procedures
- Knowledge of related construction practices and the economics involved and current knowledge of new methods of design and construction
- Proficient knowledge on planning, application and coordination of 2-D and/or 3-D Computer Aided Design (CAD) design processes on a project
- Knowledge of industry/regulatory codes and standards and design criteria pertinent to the particular discipline
- Excellent skill in oral and written communication
- Ability to work effectively within a milestone based environment, delivering on time and to the required quality
- Communication and the ability to engage with people at various levels of seniority and build relationships/trust are key to succeed in the role.
Shaping tomorrow together
- A recognised degree in architecture, an engineering or scientific discipline from an accredited college or university, OR
- A professional license in an appropriate discipline from a recognised licensing board, OR
- Specialised courses in relevant general engineering, architectural design or an appropriate engineering discipline, AND
- Progressive work experience, including supervision, preferably in project and staff design engineering or architectural design but may include other relevant types of engineering including startup, field engineering or plant operation in large industrial plants, utilities, process plants or engineering/construction firms.
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right-no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected
veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.