|Job Ref:||204630186||Employer:||cv-library.co.uk||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United Kingdom||County/State:||London||City:||London||Address:||Post Code:||WC1A||Post Date:||10/10/2016 08:55|
Manager of Systems Development |
Salary: Undisclosed + bonus & benefits
Our client is one of the world's largest providers of employment screening services. They specialise in assisting organisations of all sizes and locations manage recruitment risk and make informed decisions. By providing an easy-to-use, streamlined solutions our client can help their customers solve even the toughest screening challenges and assist organisations work smarter.
The Manager of Software Development will primarily be responsible for managing a team of software developers across multiple European locations, who support, maintain and develop the business unit's primary application utilised by both internal and external customers.
The position will be accountable for all aspects of the SDLC including software engineering, development and support for the division's proprietary applications. The position will also be a key stakeholder in an upcoming technology transformation project which will see the introduction of a new platform and new technologies to help support the growth plans of the global business.
The candidate will be a strong people leader, able to guide, develop and mentor staff at various stages within their career.
The ideal candidate will have come from a software engineering background, and worked their way through the ranks into management positions which they have held for a number of years. The candidate does not necessarily have to be operationally hands on at this stage in their career but should possess the skills to be able to roll up their sleeves as an escalation point for developers as needed, which may include reviewing code, troubleshooting issues, brainstorming alternative ways of achieving technical goals etc.
The candidate should also ideally have experience working in global organisations, managing teams in different remote geographies, have an understanding of the challenges of cultural differences along with being comfortable operating within a matrix reporting structure.
Any experience in reviewing existing SDLC processes and introducing AGILE ways of working would be very beneficial, as would and cloud based experience.
Service First Mindset - Actively listens to the customer to understand the need behind the want. Patiently answers questions and explains the issue and resolution. Follows up to ensure customer success.
Curiosity with Intent - Seeks to understand the "how" and "why" to meet current needs and anticipate future needs (innovation). Actively searches for opportunities to improve processes and results.
Collaborative Spirit - Finds and engages the right people to achieve the best result in the fastest way. Willingly shares his/her expertise to deliver the best result for his/her teammates' customers.
Sense of Ownership - Approaches situations as though he/she has a personal stake in the results. Focuses on fixing instead of blaming. Keeps commitments. Closes the loop to ensure the issue doesn't happen again.
Leadership and Development
• Develop budgets, resource allocations, project plans and deadlines.
• Build, lead, participate in and manage teams of Software Engineers who develop and maintain complex, hosted applications
• To develop and mentor direct reports, identifying areas for development and offering coaching and mentoring in areas required.
• To regularly monitor and review team performance to ensure clients' needs are met
• Work closely with Programme, Project, Product mgmt and Quality Assurance to ensure all developed applications are fit for purpose, are delivered on time and meet the business goals and expectations.
• To ensure that excellent performance is acknowledged appropriately.
• To be approachable and consistent when working with all employees.
• Conduct consistent and timely performance management, training and career development discussions and activities.
Software Development and Software Architecture
• Drive the identification, evaluation, development, implementation and organisational adherence to best practices, methodologies and tools aimed at continuous improvement and the successful completion of large-scale, mission-critical projects. Promote the organisations education, adoption and adherence to the above mentioned practices.
• Closely working with the Product Management Team, so all new client requirements are captured and managed.
• Multi-tier distributed architecture
• Web concepts and best practices
• Standard software development tools
• Microsoft .NET, C#, ASP, Java, HTML, XML
• Coding, unit testing and code review phases of project life cycle
• Object-orientated coding techniques
• Application architecture best practices
• Cloud enablement experience
• Transformational project experience