What is the purpose of this role?
Driving a variety of mobile plant vehicles, including wheeled and tracked loading shovels, landfill compactor, telescopic handler, compost turner, 360 grab, and dumper truck, to meet the requirements of site operations.
What makes this role unique?
You will be responsible for checking that the mobile plant you drive is safe and legal, and reporting any faults or problems immediately to avoid accidents or breaches of the law.
What will this role involve?
Plant Operators are responsible for:
- Ensuring they have the qualifications, training, experience and relevant licences/certification to drive mobile plant
- Driving and operating a range of site vehicles in a safe and responsible manner at all times showing due consideration for other site users
- Ensuring they know how to operate each item of mobile plant safely
- Presenting a professional image to our customers (for those in direct contact with customers)
- Maintaining work clothes and vehicles in a clean and tidy condition
- Completing allocated work within set time scales
- Carrying out the work to which they are allocated to the required standards, including avoiding risks to the environment
- Working at all times in accordance with relevant risk assessments and safe working methods, taking into account site hazards on the day, and using the appropriate supplied safety clothing
- Correct completion of required records
- Reporting of all incidents, close calls etc. to line manager
- Report any reason for not being able to operate mobile plant safely (health issues etc.) to their manager as soon as possible
- Carry out routine maintenance of vehicles as instructed (e.g. oil and water checks)
- Clean the vehicle at regular intervals both inside and out
- Carry out daily vehicle checks and report defects to their line manager or Site Supervisor/Manager as soon as possible
- Complete any paperwork required by your manager and related to your work (e.g. time sheets, daily check records)
- Complete the daily work allocated
- Report to line manager any problems with meeting work schedules in good time
- Report to the line manager any problems or customer complaints, accidents involving people, buildings or vehicles, and all near-miss incidents as soon as possible and at the latest within the same shift
- Report to the line manager and (if different) site supervisor any unsafe acts or unsafe situations seen on site
- Any other duties which could be reasonably expected of you in accordance with the grading of the job
What are we looking for?
- Vocational plant operating certificate
- Basic mechanical/electrical maintenance skill
- Operate and control items of large mobile machinery appropriately and efficiently
- Understand and diagnose common plant failure issues
- Operated similar mobile machinery
- Attention to detail
- Able to understand operation of sophisticated equipment, read and understand operating manual