Requisition ID: |
The Engineering Manager (EM) supervises design and engineering activities and staff across the Capital Investment Programme (CIP) at London City Airport, and is responsible for maintaining engineering process and procedures to ensure delivery of design that fully meets customer requirements.
The EM plans and coordinates engineering efforts to ensure that engineering is executed in a cost effective, timely and efficient manner, and in accordance with GAL Quality Management System.
The EM oversees the management of design interfaces across the CIP, monitors and reports on the area's overall engineering quality and progress.
The EM is responsible for the training and development of engineering staff within the CIP.
Qualifications and experience
- Supervises Area Project Engineers and Project Engineers responsible for the engineering effort on CIP Projects.
- Makes contact with senior airport management at key points throughout projects to ensure that engineering aspects are meeting client requirements.
- Directs and reviews the engineering activities to ensure that work quality is satisfactory, is performed in accordance with the CIP Quality Management System, and that appropriate technical personnel development programs are conducted.
- Participates in project planning sessions at the initial stages to provide technical guidance and information.
- Participates, as required, in engineering and construction reviews, management reviews and proposals.
- Recommends project engineers for new projects or recruits new project engineers for upcoming projects.
- Creates and maintains engineering process and procedures and technical standards where applicable.
- Provides appropriate training to CIP staff on engineering process and practice.
- Reviews and monitors engineering progress to ensure that budgets and schedules are being met. Initiates appropriate corrective action, if required, and contributes experience and expertise in the solution of difficult problems.
- Keeps abreast of technological development and trends that could lead to new applications or uses in the CIP, and participates in special studies to examine long term trends
- Endorses policies, as appropriate for approval, and approves processes which are unique to a project
- Regularly reviews and appraises the structure of the organisation for which he is responsible, in terms of its ability to meet short and long term objectives, and institutes appropriate changes
- Directs the annual performance review program within Engineering and conducts performance reviews, coaching, and career development discussions with Engineering employees
- Champions the creation of a work environment, supported by leadership, that fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction
The above is normally acquired through:
- Extensive technical knowledge of engineering systems, engineering calculations, applications of engineering methods and materials, and engineering applications of computers.
- General knowledge of industry or regulatory standards and design criteria in engineering disciplines.
- Extensive knowledge of administrative practices.
- Skill in negotiation for dealing with client representatives.
Framework and boundaries
- A recognized degree in an engineering or scientific discipline from an accredited college or university, AND
- A professional license in an engineering discipline from a recognised licensing board, AND
- Specialized courses in relevant general engineering or an appropriate engineering discipline, AND
- Extensive progressive work experience, including supervision, preferably in project and design engineering or other relevant types of engineering such as systems startup, field engineering or plant operation in large industrial plants, utilities, or engineering/construction firms.
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, procurement, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right- no matter how big, how complex or how remote. The reliability of our performance, the enduring quality of our projects, the strength of our ethics, and the seriousness of our commitment to safety and sustainability are evident in everything we do. Bechtel delivers for its customers what others can only promise.
- LCY's Development department delivers the projects for buildings and infrastructure associated with the capital investment plan, and the Development Engineering team functions within it to ensure the design, technical, and engineering integrity of all airport assets.
- The role, which operates with autonomy, must provide effective leadership to all engineering core functions and coordination with project delivery teams. The implicit use of personal drive, initiative and innovation is essential to set and achieve targets.
- This role includes direct and indirect supervision and leadership of permanent and contract/third party staff, as appropriate. No direct reports but functional accountability for up to 15 engineering team members
- Accountable for developing and applying design and engineering management strategies, processes and procedures across LCY's CIP
Build your career as you build some of the most challenging and complex projects in the world today.
Bechtel is an EEO/AA/M/F/Vet/Disability employer.