Thales Alenia Space (TAS) has more than 40 years’ experience in designing, integration, testing, operation and commissioning of innovative space systems. Using some of the world’s most sophisticated technologies, we meet the needs of a variety of commercial, government, scientific and security customers. Our teams create the technology to monitor our oceans, help us better understand climate change and drive scientific progress. We also supply the International Space Station and, as such, play a pivotal role in exploring the universe.|
Thales Alenia Space are hiring for a Software Engineer, who, will perform systems engineering, software engineering and work package management tasks supporting the specification and provision of Electrical Ground Support Equipment (EGSE) - electrical test benches and their associated test software. These in-turn will support electrical and functional testing activities on TAS UK space projects.
The Software Engineer will design, analyse and implement ground test systems and software to relevant ESA standards in accordance with relevant Thales Quality Management Standards following relevant procedures & processes. This will involve developing applications, frameworks and working closely with digital electronics design engineers to understand design issues relating to hardware/software interfaces.
Reporting to the Systems Engineering Capability Manager with technical oversight provided by the EGSE Skills Lead with main duties and responsibilities to include:
- Capture customer / test team requirements and, in the absence of clearly defined specifications, be able to understand the underlying goals in order propose/clarify test equipment requirements
- Liaise with electronics design and space systems engineers, and with external suppliers to establish the right test solution and procurement method (make or buy)
- Model the structure and behaviour of system and software using methods and tools such as Use Case Analysis and UML or SysML modelling
- Liaise with customers and subcontractors on technical issues relating to systems engineering and design
- Manage delivery of allocated work packages within complex programmes
- Undertake the specification, design, implementation, test and integration of software in line with space or aviation standards (ECSS-E-40/DO-178B/PSS-05);
- Capture and analysis of systems and software requirements
- Generate systems and software specification, architecture and development plans
- Oversee manufacture / procurement of test systems
- Implement and verify test software in accordance with relevant industry standards
- Support EGSE Skills Lead in optimising approaches to test system development, verification and reuse
Essential Skills Required
- Familiarity with systems and software-level requirements capture, analysis and verification techniques
- Experienced in design of rack-mounted electrical test benches or control and monitoring systems
- Experienced in developing software using agile, use-case driven development methods
- In-depth working knowledge of desktop application development using C# / .NET
- Exposure to a variety of development platforms and languages and a proven ability to quickly learn to work with new technologies
- Proven ability to work independently and use own initiative to identify and clarify and agree scope of tasks
- Experience of developing embedded and / or real-time control applications
- Experience of electronic circuit design and PCB design
- Familiarity with Hardware-in-the-Loop (HIL) testing and simulation
- Experience of developing test or simulation solutions using LabView
- Familiarity with qualification to ECSS, DO-178B standards or similar.
- Awareness and use of relevant software quality systems and standards
Due to the nature of the projects and work, candidates must either hold or be eligible to obtain UK SC Clearance.