Vacancy has expired
|Job Ref:||EMP375331||Employer:||Matchtech Group plc.||Industry:||Automotive||Country:||United Kingdom||County/State:||Northamptonshire||Address:||Salary:||Negotiable||Post Date:||13/10/2016 21:37|
The Head of Mechanical Design manages the clients Group’s Mechanical Design department, motivating engineering staff to deliver high quality engineering services, on time and on budget. They plan; schedule; recruit for and develop the Mechanical Design team.|
FMEA, DVP, BOM
• Ensures department is adequately resourced with the appropriate number of heads and skills to meet the needs of the business.
• Develops; polices and matures departmental procedures with a focus on continual improvement.
• Allocates and apportions work within the department and liaises with Programme Management team and Chief Engineers to schedule pipeline work.
• Provides technical leadership on projects, and delegates this responsibility when appropriate.
• Manages department assets, including software tools and licences.
• Maintains a department skills matrix for employees, identifies training and development needs of staff.
• Performance manages department staff, including conducting annual performance appraisals.
• Provides technical leadership to the Mechanical Design team.
• Develops and maintains customer and supplier relationships.
• Inputs into Business Development team and the proposal process as required.
• Provides advice and technical assistance to team members.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS / EXPERIENCE
• 10+ years’ experience in a mechanical design discipline
• Confident in technical documentation, including requirements capture; BoM; FMEA and DVP
• Familiar with automotive product development processes
• Excellent planning skills
• Good communication skills
• History of successfully managing people and resources to deliver engineering programmes
• Understanding and application of industry and legal standards relating to mechanical systems, particularly automotive EV and HEV applications
• Can-do, delivery-focused attitude
• Experience in creating mechanical concepts and taking them through development and validation to production
• Competent understanding of Product Data Management and drawing revision control
• Confident user of CAD tools, e.g. CATIA, Solidworks
DESIRABLE SKILLS / EXPERIENCE
• Experience of delivering engineering programmes for automotive Tier 1 or OEM clients
• Degree (or equivalent) in Engineering or a related discipline
• Background in a broad mechanical engineering function
• Mechanical integration expertise
• Familiar with electro-mechanical packaging requirements, including High Voltage (>60Vdc)
• Design for thermal management and/or thermal system design
• Exposure to working with a variety of plastics; metals and composites