Requisition ID: |
Responsible for executing assignments for specialized or unique scientific/environmental engineering requirements pertaining to the permitting, design, and construction of Bechtel projects. Has technical responsibility for interpreting complex requirements and formulating scopes of work, plans, and methodologies suitable for achieving the desired objectives. Provides technical support and guidance to other environmental scientists and engineers assigned to projects. May serve as a senior expert in one or more environmental specialties or recognized Bechtel subject matter expert, a Project Environmental Lead, or as a Project Environmental Supervisor on a large-scale, complex project.
A. Supervision Received
- Receives administrative supervision from a Chief Engineer, Engineering Manager or Manager of Engineering with assignments given in terms of broad general objectives and limits. May receive technical guidance from a Principal Engineer, Principal Scientist, or Technology Manager. B. Supervision Exercised
- May provide technical oversight of environmental subcontractors and other environmental scientists/engineers. C. Contacts
- Maintains relationships with internal Bechtel organizations (e.g., Marketing & Business Development, Engineering, Construction, (Sub)Contracts), customer, and contractor/subcontractor representatives to coordinate scientific/environmental engineering issues, new technologies, and appropriate consideration and integration of environmental issues/requirements into bid decisions, proposals, design criteria and specifications, construction plans and schedules, prime contract language, and subcontract bid specifications.
- Maintains contact with directors and/or program supervisors of government regulatory and resource agencies, environmental standards setting associations, and/or professional certifying organizations to obtain current information on new regulations, program initiatives, and technical requirements and standards.
- Maintains contact with project environmental personnel (e.g., Project Environmental Lead) to keep them informed of changing requirements, new technologies, and provide specialized technical support.
- Maintains contact with customers to exchange information on environmental issues, technical information, and new technologies.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Responsible for executing assignments that are highly technical or have unique scientific/environmental engineering requirements pertaining to permitting, design, and construction of Bechtel projects.
- Responsible for ensuring that complex environmental requirements are integrated into project planning, development of engineering design criteria, construction work plans and schedules, and subcontract bid specifications.
- Provides expert-level technical support and guidance to Bechtel corporate and global business unit management, projects and other functional managers.
- Participates in meetings with customers, project management, and contractors/subcontractors to advise them of complex or unique environmental requirements that may affect project execution.
- Serves as an environmental subject matter expert resource (e.g., air pollution control, wastewater treatment, hazardous material/waste management, erosion and sediment control, wetlands mitigation, and biological/ecological resource/habitat protection). Keeps other environmental professionals and management apprised of changes in regulatory requirements, new technologies, standards, and current industry practices.
- Serves as technical lead in conducting special studies on site assessments, new technologies, and methods.
- Assists in the development of environmental awareness training programs with emphasis on specialized requirements (e.g., waste management, sensitive resource/species protection, air emissions testing/monitoring).
- Conducts environmental reviews of projects to monitor compliance with environmental requirements including contractual commitments, permits, and internal Bechtel standards and procedures for environmental compliance.
- Advanced and specialized knowledge in a field of science, environmental engineering, or related discipline, normally acquired through a recognized degree from an accredited college or university and/or environmental-related certifications from national/international accrediting organizations/associations.
- In-depth knowledge of scientific/environmental engineering systems, principles, and methodologies.
- Knowledge of national and international environmental laws/regulations and regulatory/resource agencies' permitting processes and responsibilities, industry standards for environmental compliance, and best management practices for minimizing potential environmental impacts during construction.
- Proficiency in managing technical evaluations/studies and supervising technical staff.
- Knowledge of engineering and construction systems, methods, and work processes.
- Knowledge of construction planning, estimating, procedures, and execution.
- Experience in managing and/or providing technical oversight of environmental subcontractors or consultants.
- Experience in environmental monitoring and compliance inspection during construction.
- Knowledge of Bechtel's organization structure, functions, and procedures.
- Excellent skills in oral and written communication.
- Bachelor of Science degree in life sciences (e.g., biology, ecology, forestry) or physical sciences (e.g., geology, meteorology), or environmental engineering from an accredited college or university. An advanced degree (e.g., MS, PhD) in above fields of science, engineering, or business management and/or environmental-related certifications from national/international accrediting organizations/associations is typical.
- Prior progressive work experience in office settings (e.g., managing environmental programs, budgets and staff) and field environments (e.g., construction execution and/or operating facilities) performing the responsibilities listed above.
- Bachelor of Science degree in life sciences (e.g., biology, ecology, forestry) or physical sciences (e.g., geology, meteorology), or environmental engineering from an accredited college or university.
- 10+ years of relevant experience
- Skilled in oral and written communication.
- Prior practical work experience in office settings (e.g., managing environmental programs, budgets and staff) and field environments (e.g., construction execution and/or operating facilities) performing the responsibilities listed above.
Shaping tomorrow together
- Knowledge of Bechtel's organization structure, functions, and administrative procedures.
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right-no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected
veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.