Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and multi industrial leader serving a wide range of customers in more than 150 countries. Our 117,000 employees create intelligent buildings, efficient energy solutions, integrated infrastructure and next generation transportation systems that work seamlessly together to deliver on the promise of smart cities and communities. |
Our commitment to sustainability dates back to our roots in 1885, with the invention of the first electric room thermostat. We are committed to helping our customers win and creating greater value for all of our stakeholders through strategic focus on our buildings and energy growth platforms. For additional information, please visit NA or follow us @johnsoncontrols on Twitter.
Job Family Description/ Overview: Responsible for the oversight of Tyco On Fire Services software engineering team and employees and/or project, programs or technical disciplines. Coordinates and directs project execution, making detailed plans to accomplish goals and directing the integration of technical activities. Analyzes technology, resource needs, and market demand, to plan and assess feasibility of projects. Directs, reviews, and approves technical product designs and changes. Develops and implements policies, standards and procedures for the technical work performed in the department, service, laboratory or Tyco. Reviews and recommends contracts and cost estimates. Presents and explains proposals, reports, and findings. Consults and/or negotiates to prepare project specifications.
- Tyco On Fire Services is a new Tyco organization responsible for delivering a holistic solution for fire and life safety system service teams. Managers in this new organization must perform like a startup entrepreneurial business while also integrating with a large global business and with multiple business units. Teams will grow and change as the Tyco On Fire Services business grows, requiring determination, creativity, flexibility and the ability to manage within ambiguity.
- Provides leadership and managerial direction for software engineering activities to ensure business objectives are achieved.
- Selects, leads, directs, evaluates, and develops a team of professional software engineers and technical and administrative support staff to ensure that software engineering operations are completed on-time, within budget, and as per the set goals.
- Creates career development programs for the team and develops short-term plans to ensure skills and performance of employees meet current and future needs.
- Guides software engineering project management, planning and project execution to ensure that projects are completed on-time, within budget, and as per the set goals.
- Reviews and evaluates work of others, inside and outside the organization, to ensure effectiveness, technical adequacy, and compatibility in the resolution of complex engineering problems.
- Allocates project work when needed to most advisable contractors to ensure quality work.
- Maintains and communicates related software engineering metrics and scorecard data.
- Leads the development and timely release to Operations of functional, high quality Tyco On Fire Services products & services.
- Supports delivery of Tyco On Fire Services Minimally Viable Products (MVPs).
- Provides Level 3 Operations escalations to support IT, business units and end customers in addressing issues/outages.
- Ensures continuous integration and collaboration of cloud platform software engineering across the Tyco On teams and with Tyco enterprise partners and IT.
- Responsible for delivery of cloud platform software engineering and consulting to support Tyco On Fire Services strategy, development, deployment and high quality operation of Tyco On Fire Services solutions and products.
- Ensures development of Cloud Platform solutions specifications that deliver and/or promote consistency, integration, efficiency, security and quality.
- Identifies and addresses Security requirements as agreed in collaboration with IT Security.
- Advises senior management in the scoping and prioritization of major product releases and feature sets involving all key stakeholders.
- Provides counsel and recommendations to software engineering peers or leadership on major projects or programs or activities.
- Influences peers across the corporation to establish policy and strategy for the selection of systems architecture components to meet strategic business goals.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Strategic – Manage communications of great importance having long term implications.
- Negotiation – Come to agreement through discussion and compromise.
- Influence – Effect change where persuasion is required.
- Convey – Effectively communicate information whether oral or written means, suggestions, gestures or appearance.
This position may require domestic and/or international travel up to 5-10% of the time
Minimum Preference Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related/equivalent demonstrated work experience. Europe – GCSE or other European Equivalent.
- 3-5 years successfully leading complex engineering and teams in the areas software and/or cloud services.
- Experienced in direct and matrix management of people and teams (3-5 years).
- Demonstrated success in managing teams and virtual teams of people distributed geographically.
- Experience in startup environments preferred