Requisition ID: |
The Mechanical Startup Specialist responsibilities include:
- Support the plant start-up and commissioning process, managing assigned commissioning activities. This will require coordinating with other disciplines within the startup organization to complete all required testing from component level through integrated operation with the rest of the facility;
- Prepare system testing and turnover documentation including scoped documents, test records, test procedures and other similar required documents;
- Supervise and direct craft and subcontractor personnel as required to support commissioning. Plan work with the subcontractors and craft, monitor it and control it in accordance with the terms of the contract to stay within the budget and schedule constraints. Report and document subcontractor work activities on a daily basis in accordance with applicable procedures;
- Provide assistance to the training group on the project in the development of training program material intended for classroom and OJT training of client personnel;
- Prepare system preoperational test procedures for assigned systems. Complete testing per Bechtel Corporate Standard Test and Commissioning Procedures (STCP) and Standard Work Process Procedures (SWPP), pre-op procedures and other specific procedures which may be required to be prepared in this position. Complete all test records, data sheets, etc. to fully document testing activities;
- Prepare system turnover packages in accordance with project procedures by assembling and reviewing all system test documentation (all disciplines) for adequacy and completeness;
- Prepare preventative maintenance procedures and schedules for maintaining equipment once it has been commissioned. Complete long term storage and maintenance requirements on equipment following turnover from construction to startup prior to when it is commissioned. Fully document these activities and submit permanent records for incorporation in the maintenance database;
- Coordinate with and provide direction to supplier Technical Assistants to complete commissioning of vendor supplied equipment. Monitor supplier TA activities to ensure proper charging of TA time (i.e.: ensure Bechtel is not charged for TA time spent addressing the vendor's own issues). Plan work accordingly and control the expenditure of TA time to stay within the budget constraints for each PO; Report and document vendor work activities on a daily basis in accordance with applicable procedures;
- Provide input to engineering on revisions required to system descriptions, vendor operating and maintenance manuals, etc. based on review of documents during development of the preoperational test procedures and executing of the commissioning to ensure all such documents are consistent; Prepare the necessary design change and non-conformance documents in accordance with Bechtel procedures as required to document as-built conditions and/or properly resolve deficiencies;
- Prepare detailed startup plans for assigned project system commissioning activities, integrate all discipline activities into these plans; Provide input and updates to project controls as required to maintain accuracy and progress of project schedules, QURR and other progress tracking tools;
- Supervise field manual craft as required to perform assigned tasks; monitor and control craft performance and be accountable for performance of the craft against the budget;
- Participate in system turnover walkdowns for both Construction and Client turnovers; initiate, track and resolve punchlist items for assigned areas of responsibility;
- Apply knowledge of industry and regulatory standards, and design criteria pertinent to utility scale power plant to development of test plans and procedures;
- Use well developed interpersonal skills to interact closely and frequently with project management, client management and operations and maintenance personnel while maintaining a level of commercial awareness that does not create adverse exposure to the project's financial and schedule positions;
- Use well developed leadership skills to plan, organize, and complete activities and ensure completion of all required documentation;
- Use Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and Bechtel Standard Applications SetRoute, Inspec, Teamworks, E-Track and Infoworks in the execution of work assignments;
- Work hours as required, including shift-work, overtime, weekends and holidays as necessary to support the project;
- Perform other duties as directed in support of project activities
- A bachelor's degree in engineering, a hard science or mathematics from an accredited college or university, OR a current or previously held industry or military license/certification/qualification in electrical work, OR a sufficient number of specialized courses in an appropriate engineering or scientific discipline to meet the job requirements, OR extensive progressive work experience in the power generation industry.
- 8 years of industry experience, with at least 4 years in mechanical commissioning.
- Must be able to walk at least 3 miles per day over uneven ground and be able to climb stair towers 75' in height at least 6 times per day to access project electrical equipment.
- Must have the right to work and remain in the United States.
Previous Bechtel Commissioning/Startup Experience
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right-no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected
veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.