Contribute. Grow. Lead...with OxyChem. Looking for a challenge? Desire to achieve your true potential? OxyChem is a growing, action-oriented, safety driven chemical manufacturing company continually striving to be the best in the business while staying focused on environmental protection. The secret to our success has and will continue to be our people. |
Occidental Chemical Corporation (OxyChem) is a leading North American manufacturer of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resins, chlorine and caustic soda - key building blocks for a variety of indispensable products such as plastics, pharmaceuticals and water treatment chemicals. Other OxyChem products include caustic potash, chlorinated organics, sodium silicates, chlorinated isocyanurates and calcium chloride. For every product it makes, OxyChem's market position is No. 1 or No. 2 in the U.S. and No. 1, 2 or 3 in the world.
In a fast-paced industry that demands precision, we create a supportive workplace where the safety and well-being of our employees are paramount. We are committed to rewarding top performers, offering very competitive pay and benefits, and providing tremendous career development opportunities. We are looking for an experienced and self-motivated individual to fill the position of HESS Manager with our Wichita Plant Facility located in Wichita, Kansas.
Essential Job Duties:
- Manages the Safety, Fire Protection, Industrial Hygiene, Security and Environmental Group. Ensures organizational commitment to approved results/goals, quality programs, and compliance policies.
- Develops own operating budget, contributes as appropriate to the development of budgets in other Plant Departments. Administers various cost control, productivity improvements and cost reduction programs.
- Maintains technical competency within the department.
- Develops and implements accident prevention, loss control and environmental programs to conform with government and corporate guidelines and requirements, thus ensuring protection of business areas against non-compliance with government and other agencies, such as OSHA, EPA, KDHE, etc.
- Advises all levels of management concerning their responsibilities related to environmental matters, fire protection, industrial hygiene, and safety.
- Advises line management (staff and department head level) on methods to improve their safety and environmental performance with regards to auditing, training, motivating, etc.
- Identifies plant safety, environmental, industrial hygiene and fire protection issues and provides management direction to departments as necessary to correct deficiencies.
- Interfaces with bargaining unit representatives to ensure cooperation and involvement in safety, industrial hygiene, fire protection, and environmental activities.
- Manages the Emergency Preparedness program for the Wichita Plant.
- Manages Plant security by overseeing a contract security force, auditing and advising on the Plant Security Plan, and meeting with outside regulatory agencies regarding Wichita's security.
- Manages the Chemical Emergency Response Program in concert with corporate guidelines.
- Coordinates plant inspection programs to ensure compliance with OSHA, EPA and corporate standards.
- Identifies new or additional equipment required to help meet safety, environmental, industrial hygiene and fire protection needs.
- Reviews major engineering projects to assure compliance with safety/environmental regulations.
- Maintains appropriate interface with Medical regarding work related injuries and illnesses, workers compensation claims, OSHA recordability, and safety/health related medical monitoring activities.
- Coordinates activities with Corporate to assure appropriate Plant relationship and response to Property Loss Insurers and Boiler and Machinery Insurers.
- Assures that Safety/Environmental Personnel are continuously available on a call in basis to assist in plant emergencies or safety/environmental issues needing such expertise.
- Participates and/or maintains programs in support of the Wichita Plant's Responsible Care Management System.
- BS degree in Safety, Industrial Engineering or equivalent degree, with a minimum of 8 years' experience.
- Must be knowledgeable of industrial hygiene, OSHA, chemistry, engineering, and mechanical crafts.
- Must be on-call 24 hours/day.
- High proficiency in Microsoft applications (such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to read, write and speak in English
- Must have a valid driver's license
- Physical requirements - Must be able to lift 40 lbs, climb ladders and stairs. Walking, bending, stooping is required. Must be able to wear personal protective equipment including the use of a respirator. Must be able to respond to visual and audible alarms.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Certified Safety Professional preferred.
- Previous experience in a union environment preferred.
- At least 5 years of supervisory experience preferred.
Oxy is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Individual with Disability/Veteran Status