|Job Ref:||204702123||Employer:||cv-library.co.uk||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United Kingdom||County/State:||Cambridgeshire||City:||Cambridge||Address:||Post Code:||CB1||Salary:||£40000 - £50000/annum||Post Date:||20/10/2016 03:41|
Senior System Administrator (Linux)|
Permanent, Full Time
My client is an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Their growth isn't just revenue, they've been hiring the best and the brightest. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment then my client is for you.
They are offering a fantastic opportunity for talented system administrators to join their team in Cambridge. You will be part of a company that is growing at a phenomenal pace, including potentially opening other European centres meaning there is good opportunity for career progression.
This offers a fascinating opportunity to join a mid-sized company as we rapidly upscale and the opportunity to gain direct experience in data capacity growth that you will not find in other companies.
As a System Administrator you will apply your technical skills and creativity in support of their research and clinical platforms. Working with the Enterprise Informatics team you will provide day to day user and system support for enterprise compute, storage and web delivery architectures, mixed with automation development and implementation. This position requires a technically adept individual who can work in teams across global boundaries, applying creative thought to solve complex computing challenges. Candidate must have excellent interpersonal skills, eagerness to learn and grow, have a flexible approach to solving problems, while complying with change, access, and incident management processes.
Primary responsibility includes automation of implementation, support and administration of a global Linux infrastructure, on hardware and in AWS cloud, comprised of custom scientific software, web application servers, MySQL databases, Elastic Search and Hadoop, using Ansible for automation, to support analysis and correlation of DNA sequencing data and medical records in a very dynamic environment. The candidate will work in a team of experts and in collaboration with inter-site bioinformatics and software development teams to implement and manage standardized IT hardware and software solutions to support and ensure high quality analysis results. Additional responsibility will include providing IT expertise and support to internal product development for selecting and qualifying proper hardware and software solutions to integrate into the company's products.
The candidate is required to possess current knowledge of wide range of emerging / leading edge technologies and have the technical expertise to provide support for technological solutions for complex business challenges.
Job duties include but are not limited to:
* Provide support and administration for the company's Linux environment globally.
* Comply with and enforce security and compliance processes.
* Implementation and administration of a highly available and resilient Linux infrastructure based on technical requirements. Excellent knowledge of Linux/Unix and good understanding of Windows will be required for successful performance of this duty.
* Implement and maintain workflow process automation scripts and procedures to ensure consistency and auditability in a managed infrastructure, automating away manual installation and intervention.
* Provide second level computer support to the internal business units. Troubleshoot and resolve hardware and application issues, networks, file system access, etc.
* Ensure continuous proactive monitoring
* Proactively troubleshoot and optimize network and data workflow related bottlenecks to ensure high availability and performance.
* Document and communicate effectively procedures, configurations, standards, etc.
* On call as needed
Education and Experience:
Degree or related experience.
3+ years of experience in Linux/UNIX and data storage support and administration
Expertise in administration, configuration, optimization and monitoring Linux with an emphasis on CentOS
Experience with scripting tools such as WHS, Perl, and Python or automation with Ansible, Chef, Puppet or Salt
Knowledge of, and experience with network protocols and services (TCP/IP, LDAP, SMTP, SNMP, DNS, DHCP)
Experience with AWS cloud-based deployment and support
Ability to learn new technologies quickly
We are looking for flexible individuals willing to acquire new skills, multitask and work on projects outside of immediate area of expertise. Strong desire and ability to work as a team player and it will be important to be comfortable in speaking with internal customers.
For this role a driving licence will be important to be able to physically visit data sites.
For further details on this role and a confidential discussion about your next career move forward please contact me on (Apply online only) or email to