|Job Ref:||204275263||Employer:||cv-library.co.uk||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United Kingdom||County/State:||Hertfordshire||City:||Hemel Hempstead||Address:||Post Code:||HP2||Salary:||£35000 - £45000/annum||Post Date:||24/10/2016 09:56|
The Operations Engineer is responsible for managing, maintaining and optimising the Company and the Clients' live IT services. The role's day to day activities will include the monitoring, performance, support, administration and capacity management of all live services to ensure that SLA, performance and availability targets are met.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Monitoring alerts and events and raising tickets as required;
• Supporting the infrastructure to ensure systems are stable and operating within established performance thresholds;
• Working with the Operations team to troubleshoot and resolve any issues that may arise;
• Managing the backup infrastructure including daily monitoring of backup jobs and restoration of files and systems as required;
• Performing regular preventative maintenance tasks;
• Performing regular security, health and compliance checks;
• Performing pro-active capacity management and planning activities;
• Evaluating and applying operating system and application patches and updates;
• Assisting 1st and 2nd line support teams with incident diagnosis and fault resolution;
• Participating in Problem Management activities to determine root causes of incidents and developing work-around and permanent resolutions;
• Participating in Change Management activities to ensure change requests are fulfilled according to company guidelines;
• Participating in Knowledge Base management to ensure the accuracy and relevance of submitted articles;
• Producing and maintaining configuration and maintenance documentation for all managed systems;
• Communicating with stakeholders as required, keeping them informed of incident progress, notifying them of impending changes and service outages;
• Producing statistics and management reports as required;
• Liaising with senior management;
• To be proactive, innovative and to take clear ownership for your areas of responsibility.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
• Business awareness - specific knowledge of the clients and how IT relates to their business strategy and goals;
• Identifying opportunities to improve processes and enhance efficiency through automation;
• Deploying all technologies in strict accordance with the company's agreed best practices and the project management framework at all times;
• Maintaining skill levels and certifications in designated technologies to the highest standard, through a combination of self-study, company provided training and external courses;
• Reviewing IT publications and online materials to remain up-to-date with current and future technologies emerging in the industry;
• Entering all work as activities, service tickets, or project tickets into the company's PSA tool;
• Recording all time and expenses in the PSA tool as they occur;
• Participating in "on-call" out-of- hours emergency support cover for a maximum of one week in four.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to excel at each essential duty. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or abilities required.
The Operations Engineer have a minimum of three years' experience working in a System Administrator or Operations Engineer role and must hold at least two Microsoft MCP or MCTS certifications and must also be certified in one or more of the following: Cisco CCNA, SonicWALL CSSA or Master CSSA, Citrix CCAA, CCEE or CCIA, VMware VCP, HP ProLiant Servers, ITIL v3 Foundation. A Microsoft MCSA is desired.
The Operations Engineer must have strong knowledge and experience of the following technologies:
• Windows Server 2008R2, 2012 and 2012R2;
• Exchange Server 2010 or 2013;
• SQL Server 2008R2, 2012 or 2014;
• Active Directory;
• Group Policy;
• Networking, including DNS, DHCP, VLANs and routing;
• SAN and iSCSI;
• Scripting, including PowerShell and VB Script;
• Backup and Disaster Recovery.
It is desirable the Operations Engineer will also have experience in:
• WDS and MDT;
• SQL Development;
• SQL Reporting;
• HP ProLiant Tower, Rack and Blade servers.
The Operations Engineer should also have the following abilities:
• Excellent interpersonal skills: such as telephony skills, communication skills, active listening and customer-care;
• Strong organisational, presentational and customer service skills;
• Skill in planning and preparing written communications;
• Ability to multi-task and adapt to changes quickly;
• Ability to work in a team and communicate effectively;
• Service awareness of all organisation's key IT services for which support is being provided;
• Understanding of support tools, techniques, and how technology is used to provide IT services;
• Typing skills to ensure quick and accurate entry of service request details;
• Self-motivated with the ability to work in a fast moving environment