Thales teams deliver cutting-edge solutions to armed forces the world over. We are Europe’s number one supplier of defence electronics and a leading provider of integrated air defence systems. But our people don’t just work with incredibly advanced technology. The armoured vehicles we build can resist the full force of improvised explosive devices, while our avionics solutions control some of the world’s most iconic military aircraft. Together, our people make the world safer.|
The Planner is responsible for provision of accurate, integrated and meaningful bid and / or project planning information to the management team and key stakeholders. This encompasses; monitoring, analysing and reporting for bid /project schedules to ensure that information is used in bid / project decision-making based upon the status of the most up to date schedule. The information provided to review and report the status of the bid / project must be based on auditable, controlled and managed data.
This position will initially start in Basingstoke. We are relocating to Reading in early 2017
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Maintain, develop & communicate the integrated bid / project plan in the designated planning tool set including all contract deliverable milestones, internal milestones, invoicing and sales milestones in accordance with the Thales Procedures.
- Monitor the integrated set of bid / project schedules, costs, and resources in accordance with the company timetable, procedures and working practices and cost structure and Work Break-down Structure.
- Undertake and coordinate the formal update of bid / project schedules, interdependencies, resource allocations budgets and financial status.
- Provide effective planning support to the management of transition from P3e to P6.
- Generate the overall critical path across the integrated set of bids / projects and reconcile issues, making recommendations to assist in the recovery of slippage, where applicable.
- Undertake Earned Value calculations, where applicable, to support bid / project performance forecasting.
- Analyse resource profiles resulting from the monthly schedule update process and make recommendations to reconcile resource loading anomalies ahead of the Forward Load extraction.
- Undertake all baseline and change control activities associated with the schedules including regular local archiving of the associated database(s).
- The role will also involve occasional ad-hoc duties that are not listed above but are necessary to respond to the needs of the business. These ad-hoc duties will be consistent with the nature of a Project Planner position within Thales.
Skills, qualifications and experience
- Excellent technical project planning skills with proficiency in common project planning tool sets (such as Primavera, SAP).
- Proficient in Earned Value Management techniques
- Effective at operating across functional and departmental boundaries (working in a matrix style organisation)
- A strong understanding of the need for governance in bid / project management and the ability to uphold governance requirements.
- Can demonstrate commercial, financial and general business acumen.
- Experience of providing a bid / project planning service within a medium to large organisation. The experience is required to demonstrate;
- A thorough understanding of planning techniques – for example; the application of critical path analysis, work breakdown structures etc…
- A track record of excellence in progress Reporting and KPI Production
- Educated to Diploma (HND) level in a subject with clear relevance to project management.
- As a minimum Level D Professional accreditation with the Association for Project Management (or equivalent level of professional accreditation).