|Job Ref:||204707725||Employer:||cv-library.co.uk||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United Kingdom||County/State:||London||City:||London||Address:||Salary:||£35000 - £40000/annum plus benefits||Post Date:||29/09/2016 03:44|
Job: Data Science Engineer|
Our client is growing the team and wish to recruit a data scientist/engineer. This role will play a key role in defining and building the Data Insight foundation (their tooling) for the company and will have the opportunity to make a visible difference to the wider community through software engineering and data analytics.
What will you contribute in this role?
You will develop tools and analysis that help some of the biggest companies understand and transform their operations. You will discover new insights about the applications and infrastructure. The new information you discover will enable organisations to change more rapidly and effectively.
What will you learn in this role?
You will develop as a data scientist/engineer. You will play a role in expanding the client's data science toolchain and in developing applications that support delivery of their services. You will be able to influence the choices they make to add to their toolchain and they will support your development of the skills necessary to build and support it. They currently make extensive use of the AWS data analytics product set and use Scala and Python and make extensive use of Jupyter. You will also gain domain knowledge in application development and management. And also in the operation of IT infrastructure and applications in some of the world's biggest companies.
You will be contributing to development, maintenance and testing of the client's solutions. You will also work on evaluation of solutions and products (open source and proprietary) that may form part of their tooling platform.
As they are a growing team, they require each member to be more specialist in one area of data science/engineering. The successful candidate will complement existing members of the team by taking a lead in software engineering, ensuring that they can develop good practice in software development. Experience with object-oriented design, coding and testing will be valuable.
About the Candidate
• Masters Degree or higher in a quantitative field: Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Economics.
• Strong programming and scripting experience, covering one or more of: Scala / Java and Python
• Data science/analytical skill-set with strong practical experience analysing and understanding large data sets
• Take the lead in building new innovative ground breaking data insights and products leveraging the latest data technologies and tools.
• Demonstrable evidence of strong programming and scripting proficiency, debugging, troubleshooting with Scala (min 1-year experience) and Python.
• Experience using Python/Jupyter.
• Proven experience of Continuous Integration/Test Driven Development and Code Analysis including its application within the software development lifecycle.
• Experience with one or more RDBMS databases (Postgres, MySQL, MS SQL, Oracle, or other RDBMS) as well as substantial working experience with emerging tools for data integration.
• Strong knowledge of data structures, e.g. columnar and graph based data structures, parallel computing algorithms.
• Proficiency in OS scripting (bash) and good knowledge of systems administration
• Knowledge of common Linux developer tools and languages.
• Excellent written and spoken communication skills and capable of articulating complex designs, code and applications for large scale projects to a client-facing standard.
• Willing to learn/gain more experience with Cloud Technologies
• Awareness of data security, privacy and governance concerns. Understands the importance of code quality and good security practice.
• Willingness to travel and potentially work on client site in global locations.
Following skills would be desirable:
• PhD in a quantitative field: e.g. Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Economics
• Proven experience with Big Data technologies and related projects with broad experience in open source development and build tools, especially around Apache.
• Demonstrable work on NoSQL systems for production systems with experience in developing HBase, Mongo, Cassandra or similar.
• Able to work with cloud computing environments - the client uses AWS extensively