|Job Ref:||204707490||Employer:||cv-library.co.uk||Industry:||Civil and Structural||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United Kingdom||County/State:||Hampshire||City:||Basingstoke||Address:||Post Code:||RG21||Salary:||£26520 - £30940/annum||Post Date:||29/09/2016 04:07|
Lathe Operator - Full-time or ( part time 4 days) |
Colchester Triumph or Colchester Student Lathe
This role is part of a team of 7 machinists supplying bearings belts and other engineering supplies for customers in sectors ranging from transport and aerospace to distribution and food chains. The Lather Operator is responsible for set up , operation and tending lathe and turning machines to turn, bore, thread, form, or face metal or plastic materials as required by customers of Oakley EMS ( part of GTO Engineering )
Main duties and responsibilities
- Adjust machine controls and change tool settings in order to keep dimensions within specified tolerances for bearings , belts and other engineering supplies produced by Oakley EMS GTO .
- Inspect sample work pieces to verify conformance with specifications, using instruments such as gauges, micrometers, and dial indicators.
- Start lathe or turning machines and observe operations to ensure that specifications are met
- Lift metal stock or other work pieces manually or using hoists, and position and secure them in machines, using fasteners and hand tools.
- Move controls to set cutting speeds and depths and feed rates, and to position tools in relation to work pieces.
- Position, secure, and align cutting tools in tool holders on machines, using hand tools, and verify their positions with measuring instruments.
- Study blueprints, layouts or charts, and job orders for information on specifications and tooling instructions, and to determine material requirements and operational sequences.
- Install holding fixtures, cams, gears, and stops to control stock and tool movement, using hand tools, power tools, and measuring instruments.
- Turn valve handles to direct the flow of coolant onto work areas or to coat disks with spinning compounds.
- Provide support for other engineering projects or tasks taken on by Oakley EMS GTO in support of its customers.
- For someone with a current driving license there may be a need to deliver parts to customers from time to time
- At all times observe health and safety policy and guidelines so as to reduce / eliminate risks of accidents to yourself or other persons
- 3-5 years experience as a Lathe Operator in a Manufacturing or Engineering setting
Technical skills and specialized knowledge
- Understanding of Engineering terminology
- Familiarity with products and specifications of products ranging from bearings, belts and pulleys to chains, sprockets, seals and rings
- Plus replace worn tools, and sharpen dull cutting tools and dies using bench grinders or cutter-grinding machines.
- Crank machines through cycles, stopping to adjust tool positions and machine controls to ensure specified timing, clearances, and tolerances. • Select cutting tools and tooling instructions, according to written specifications or knowledge of metal properties and shop mathematics.
- Move tool holders manually or by turning hand wheels, or engage automatic feeding mechanisms to feed tools to and along work pieces.
- Compute unspecified dimensions and machine settings, using knowledge of metal properties and workshop shop calculations
Job Type: Full-time
Job Location: Basingstoke RG22
Required education: High school or equivalent
Required experience: Lathe machine operating: 3 years