As the European number one in defence electronics and the world number two in defence radio communications, Thales is a leading name in the global defence and security markets. In addition to equipping over 40 naval forces across the globe, we have a proud 125-year heritage here in the UK. Today that is represented in our key role delivering the Queen Elizabeth Class aircraft carrier and our programmes include the world's most advanced, fully integrated, passive and active search and attack sonar suite fitted to the new Astute Class submarine. |
As a Software Architect you will make high level design choices for a team of Software Developers in some of the most complex maritime defence programmes. Harnessing your diverse knowledge of software development tools and languages, you will work collaboratively with your colleagues in Systems and Hardware in identifying the creating the optimum design solution for our customers.
- As Software Architect you will act as a software technical lead, responsible for the delivery of software technical solutions and have ability to work collaboratively within an integrated team containing Systems and Software Systems expertise, strategically driven in a stimulating environment to meet stretched timescales
- Development of software solutions in support of the delivery of key technical market strategies;
- Development of software solutions in support of the delivery of investment cases
- Support to software-related product localisation, adaptation, introduction and development programmes
- Delivery of software technical solutions to bids, acting as the software technical lead
- Support the handover of technical solutions, from a software technical perspective, from bids to programmes, to the Programme Team
- Support the development of the company’s technical delivery capability in line with the key technical market strategies, including definition of resources and competencies, ways of working, processes, procedures, facilities and tools, with particular emphasis on software capability;
- Attend and participate in Software Systems Engineering working groups within Thales UK
Skills qualifications and experience
- Experience in the application of a diverse portfolio of software tools and languages including C , C, JAVA and Linux.
- Strong knowledge and experience of one or more of the following architectures:
- Service Oriented Architectures (SOA)
- Interfacing to legacy systems
- Detailed knowledge and experience of the following:
- Programming Languages including Object Oriented Design
- Operating Systems:, Linux, Windows, VMWare
- Exposure to and competence in one or more of the Software Engineering processes and tools including
- Agile and Waterfall development methodologies
- Continuous Integration and automated test tools
- Requirements Management tools e.g. DOORS
- Configuration Control and its application within the software environment.
- Exposure to and interest in real time complex system related design activities either from within a defence, aerospace, transportation, telecoms or similar industry
- Strives for a high standard of efficiency and quality in all areas of work
- Innovative and collaborative within a team environment
To play a key role in pushing the boundaries of physics as we design the next generation of sonar systems that will help maintain the safety of the world’s oceans then please click apply.