|Job Ref:||28689BR||Employer:||Black & Veatch||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United States||County/State:||Kansas||City:||Overland Park||Address:||Post Date:||21/10/2016 01:03|
The MDU Engineering Design Project Lead functions as a technical specialist in a lead role. Under general direction, develops and applies advanced engineering techniques, concepts and approaches to complex engineering problems. May provide technical guidance over a group or supervise engineering staff on projects of low to medium complexity. May be responsible for developing, validating, and presenting specialist/technical output. |
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The MDU Engineering Fiber Design Project Lead is directly responsible for day to day management and oversight of the MDU design team's production while assisting and performing in all aspects of the MDU fiber designs. Typical MDU designs range from initial route determination and fiber allocation to final BOM creation for the physical local Outside and Inside Plant areas as needed.
•30% - Staff training, assignment and scheduling
•10% - Design review and quality assurance
•10% - Local client interface
•50% - Design formulation
•Attend Client Kick-Off meetings and follow up calls.
•Review preliminary client route design and determine schedule/manage fielding.
•Oversee and perform ISP designs accommodating MDU needs.
•Create all necessary splicing prints/port assignments.
•Assure designs meet client design guidelines.
•Foster a mentoring and development environment for the design team.
•Assure team performs design within allocated budgets and time frames.
•Provide design guidance and direct to team.
•Capable using GIS and other design support tools.
•Develop cost estimate models within excel analytically from preliminary design data.
•Consult with and advise the Engineering Lead and design staff regarding any questions raised in connection with the work.
• Keep the Engineering Lead and Project management staff advised of the progress of the work and any developments involving change in the scope of the contract work or otherwise which could affect the contract requirements and fee and/or Client relationships.
• Review the Client's comments and success parameters and verify that the Client's concerns are addressed. Check for impact on schedules, budget, and construction cost, and advise the staff of any needed changes.
• Attend Jurisdiction and landlord review meetings as required.
• Understand project milestones. Monitor status of milestones, and provide regular update of such to the project team.
• Consult with and advise the Engineering Lead and design staff regarding any questions raised in connection with the work.
• Maintain project records and files, in Documentum and SharePoint.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications
• Bachelor's degree in engineering technology or sciences preferred or any other degree, specialized training, or experience, that makes the individual uniquely qualified to perform the job responsibilities.
• Minimum of 7 years related work experience.
• MDU fiber design engineering experience
• Ideal candidates will have 2-3 years direct ISP/MDU telecommunications experience and 1-3 years of ISP construction management experience preferred.
• Ability to train and direct work activities for 2-5 design team members.
• Experience interpreting client request and auditing projects for compliance with scopes of work and quality.
• A deep understanding of inside and outside plant fiber optic network infrastructure, engineering design and construction focused on MDU design.
• Experience in managing design teams and field technicians a plus.
• Knowledge/experience with project management tools.
• Knowledge/experience with Web Applications.
• Strong interpersonal, analytical, and communication skills. Flexible and able to think quickly in working to resolve design issues and make decisions.
• Experience in managing multiple projects.
• Excellent communications skills, strong organizational skills, a high level of integrity, a strong team player, and attention to details are all critical traits of successful B&V Engineers.
Preferred Non-Technical Competencies:
• Written Communications
• Drive For Results
• Decision Quality
• Priority Setting
• Directing Others
• Conflict Management
• Dealing with Ambiguity
• Customer Focus
• Building Effective Teams
• Supervisor Competencies
Preferred Technical Competencies:
• Advanced knowledge of engineering design principles and applicable design guides and standards related to assigned engineering discipline
• Intermediate knowledge of other disciplines
• Advanced ability to interpret engineering deliverable content as assigned
• Intermediate industry knowledge and technology trends
• Intermediate knowledge of company quality program
• Intermediate knowledge of construction & constructability practices & principles
• Intermediate knowledge of procurement & contract administration
• Working knowledge of process, procedures for project controls and estimating
• Intermediate knowledge of technical aspects of the proposal process
• Intermediate business & financial acumen
• Intermediate knowledge of company/division/HR programs, policies, procedures, and organization structure
• Intermediate knowledge of management techniques & administrative practices
Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Disabled/Veterans/Females