|Job Ref:||204713442||Employer:||cv-library.co.uk||Industry:||Construction||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United Kingdom||City:||Manchester||Address:||Post Code:||M13||Salary:||£47304 - £54400/annum||Post Date:||22/10/2016 02:37|
Formerly the Highways Agency, Highways England is the new Government company that operates, maintains and improves England`s network of motorways and major A roads. This network is around 4,300 miles long and while it represents only 2 per cent of all roads in England by length it carries a third of all traffic by mileage as well as two thirds of heavy goods traffic, making it the backbone of the country.
We have around 3,500 staff based in seven offices around the country including a uniformed Traffic Officer Service in control centres and patrolling key areas of the network. Highways England is held to account by two bodies who act on behalf of the public - The Office of Rail and Roads monitor the performance of our highways and Transport Focus champion the needs of road users.
Professional & Technical Solutions (PTS) is responsible for providing specialist technical advice. PTS acts as the internal client with other directorates who are accountable for the operation and delivery of the strategic roads network, and are responsible for the Highways England best practice approach to strategic road management and design, providing specialist technical support (such as Health & Safety) to achieve work set out in the Highways England business plan. We also improve and develop tools and guidance for trunk road management, operation and design, promote and manage Highways England research and development programme to encourage the implementation of new ideas and innovation.
Highways England is currently recruiting for a Programme Health & Safety Manager to be based in Manchester.
Role Purpose and Key Responsibilities
You will manage a team of Health and Safety Advisors to deliver a cultural shift in health and safety across Highways England and its supply chain. You will manage resources proactively by planning and working with others; to ensure the best health and safety advisory service can be deployed for the company nationally.
You will be expected to deliver a consistent level of high quality performance within the Health and Safety Advisory team by developing capacity, capability, expertise and professionalism of team members.
Building effective relationships with a wide range of stakeholders, influence across boundaries and inform Policymaking. You will also be a dedicated focal lead with specific supply chain organisations on health and safety matters that span across areas or programmes of work.
Part of the Programme/Delivery senior management team, accountable for championing the health and Safety function; supporting the development of the Programme`s health and safety agenda, providing functional input to team decisions and shared accountability for these decisions.
You will coordinate health and safety across projects Programmes and Directorates, development and implementation of Programme/Project health and safety risk profiling, planned health and safety assurance activities and reporting, to agreed standards and timescales.
Implementation of programmes to develop safety leadership behaviours, worker and supply chain engagement with the safety value, and promote safety culture.
Be the Lead on health and safety risk assessment, related problem solving and innovation in the Programme/project environment at Highways England.
You will ensure the provision of competent advice to senior managers, employees and Trade Unions regarding all health and safety matters.
Translation of strategic requirements and understand the wider political landscape to develop the service provided by Advisors.
Finally, use data and feedback on the effectiveness of policy, systems and processes to improve performance and inform strategy and decision-making.
- You will have experience of setting up and/or running a function that services the business needs.
- You`ll have a strategic mind-set, and knowledge of health and safety legislation including Construction (Design and Management).
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills to explain health and safety processes and give presentations to groups.
- Ability to understand and analyse complex information and present it simply and accurately.
- Maintaining a current knowledge of Construction (Design and Management) legislation and a working knowledge of all Health and Safety Executive legislation and any developments that may affect the business.
- Knowledge of health and safety legislation, its interpretation as translated into good health and safety practice.
- Knowledge of the design, constructs, operate and maintain asset lifecycle.
- A degree or NEBOSH Diploma in Health and Safety (Essential)
- A degree in a science or engineering discipline (Desirable)
- Membership of a recognised engineering or safety professional body, e.g. CMIOSH (Essential)
- Lead Auditor qualification (Desirable)
- Recognised Incident Investigation qualification (Desirable)
All applications must be accompanied with a current CV which will be used to assess your suitability for the role. Please ensure all the skills, experience and qualifications requested are clearly demonstrated in your CV as explained in the body of the advert.
Please note that Highways England reserve the right to close the advert before the advertised closing date should a sufficient response have been received. Therefore, please complete your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment