|Job Ref:||R0011084||Employer:||Thales Group||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United Kingdom||County/State:||London||City:||London||Address:||Post Code:||WC1A||Post Date:||21/10/2016 22:01|
Radio / Telecommunications Field Engineer|
Field based – London area
Transport networks around the world rely on technology and systems expertise from Thales for safety, reliability and optimised capacity. Our main markets in the UK are urban rail, mainline rail and roads, where our solutions include signalling (train control, axle counters, interlocking, train protection and warning systems, services), supervision and control, integrated communications, security and information management.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Radio / Telecommunications Field Engineer to join our growing team supporting the London Underground’s Radio Communications Network.
The successful Radio / Telecommunications Field Engineer will be responsible for undertaking faulting activities to restore service and systems on Radio and Telecommunications across London Underground stations, maintaining our first class service to the customer and health and safety practises.
This is an excellent development opportunity for a technical individual with a Radio or Transmission (PDH / SDH) background to advance their knowledge and experience across multiple technologies; CCTV (ATM), IP and beyond, whilst working on a bespoke network.
It is a field based position with access to a pool vehicle and will involve frequent travel across all London Underground stations and to our office in Waterloo. The successful candidate will work shifts on a full time, permanent basis.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Undertake a range of Radio, Transmission, IP and CCTV maintenance activities across LU.
• Work efficiently and effectively to restore service, highlight and escalate issues or deficiencies
• Ensure a safe system of work is in place and dynamic risk assessments are completed and recorded.
• Carry out equipment reprogramming and install latest equipment configuration as required.
• Understand and interpret design documentation and work instructions.
• Testing and certifying the safety of new systems and installs.
• Determine and understand the customer’s requirements through regular local customer contact
• Maintain regular and consistent dialogue with the delivery team to update on faulting task progress.
• Liaise with the delivery team to ensure efficient utilisation and tasking of resources to undertake priority faulting (based on SLA times), planned and reactive maintenance activities.
Skills & Attributes
• A valid UK driving licence
• Demonstrable experience working with Radio / Telecommunication Systems
• Understanding of structured cabling
• Understanding and ability to apply basic electrical principles to faulting activities
• Proficient in the application and interpretation of Telecom Transmission Systems, architecture and component parts.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate at all levels
• Self-motivation and the ability to work under pressure are vital
• Technical knowledge of Tetra Radio Systems
• Good understanding of internet protocol and IP Multi Services Networks.
• Good technical understanding of Video and specifically of ATM Video Systems.
• Demonstrable experience in Operational Communications and/or points and trackside equipment and/or power systems and/or Signalling Systems.
• ONC / HNC / City & Guilds L3 / Commercial qualifications in Radio Communications, Telecommunications or similar
• Technically qualified and certified competent to work on all systems within area of expertise.
• Appropriate membership of a recognised engineering institution.
• Safety and access certification. e.g QAF, LUCAS etc