Materials Laboratory Engineer|
Outline Job profile
A vacancy for a Materials Laboratory Engineer (Metallurgist) has arisen within Airbus Defence & Space to work on space flight hardware in Stevenage. This role reports to the Materials Laboratory Manager.
The successful candidate will be subject to Basic UK National Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
- Contribute to the Materials and Processes team mission of assuring the quality of materials and processes used in the business' Defence and Space products.
- Provide support to in-process testing and batch acceptance testing of procured materials.
- Provide Materials Laboratory support to Projects
There is no shift working but may incur some weekend and evening extended hours.
Qualifications and / or skills and experience
Main tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Degree or equivalent in a Chemistry, Materials Science or Physics discipline
- Experience working within a commercial / Industrial laboratory environment
- Practical experience of mechanical testing and chemical testing, with a particular emphasis on industrial chemistry. Practical experience of micro sectioning and microscopy would be a distinct advantage
- Experience of working in a regulated laboratory to minimum ISO9000 quality standard
- Demonstrable team working skills, communication and presentation capability
- Flexible and proactive approach to work and is prepared to work at other sites and at customer and supplier locations as directed
- PC literate, report and specification writing, database maintenance and spreadsheets
if this position is of interest, please apply or contract Matthew Crook on NA/
- Hands-on testing of materials and process used in the manufacture of space products - mechanical and/or chemical, analysing the results and reporting data to enable internal customers to make informed pass/fail decisions
- Support Materials Engineering investigations, produce reports on the results drawing concise conclusions and present the findings to internal / external customers
- Support development and qualification programmes
- Contribute to the development and implementation of a 5S lean approach to laboratory working
- Support the continuous maintenance and review of Material Laboratory Procedures (MLPs) and laboratory working processes
- Maintain and improve internal databases and operating procedures