|Job Ref:||204735220||Employer:||cv-library.co.uk||Industry:||Civil and Structural||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United Kingdom||County/State:||Oxfordshire||City:||Oxford||Address:||Post Code:||OX4||Salary:||£35000 - £45000/annum Dep on Exp||Post Date:||05/10/2016 03:45|
Research and Development Engineer |
Our client is a new University of Oxford spinout aiming to commercialize breakthrough thin film optical technologies in a range of exciting applications such as ultrahigh resolution reflective displays and dynamic smart glazing applications.
As part of our very initial hiring processes, we are seeking several development engineers with broad experience spanning from electronics to optical systems. You will be trained to a Doctoral Level (or at least a Masters level with over 5 years of experience in the relevant areas below):
All appointed candidates will:
1. Design, build and test nanoscale devices, structures and systems.
2. Show initiative and creativity to help achieve ambitious research milestones.
3. Be effective at multitasking.
4. Disseminate and document research outputs: 1. 5. Diligent and clear documentation of all laboratory or other research activities and results obtained.
2. 6. High quality research papers or patent applications in English.
3. 7. Presenting research data arising from this project at local, national and international meetings. This will include assisting the management in the preparation of presentation materials.
4. 8. Taking responsibility for filing invention disclosures or other forms of IP protection when appropriate.
9. e. Assist with laboratory liaising and supervision through our service agreements with several partners such as the University of Oxford.
10. f. Assist with equipment set-up, maintenance and general laboratory safety protocols.
11. g. Assist with training of new employees and collaborators as role progresses.
12. h. Travel to partner sites in UK, Switzerland, Germany, USA or wherever required based on research, business or commercial needs. Such travel will occur at short notice and urgently.
1. If required, supporting the Chief Technology Officer and the Chief Scientific Officer in commercialization talks, including preparation of reports and creating documents to support the role of technology in potential commercialization.
2. Assisting with other practical and administrative duties as required. This is a small company, and all staff members are expected to contribute to these tasks.
You should ensure that your letter of application, together with your cv and a separate sheet specifically addressing the selection criteria, clearly indicates how your experience and qualifications fulfil the following selection criteria, as your application will be judged on that basis.
1. A good first degree and completed doctorate (or equivalent experience with a minimum of a Master`s Degree) in experimental physics, electrical or mechanical engineering, materials science or related area, in the following research area:
Photonics/Optoelectronics, Device fabrication, Functional materials.
1. Previous experience of and demonstrable ability of the following: 2. - Hands-on micro and nanofabrication techniques (cleanroom experience).
3. - Hands-on experimental skills in building electronics or optoelectronics systems and deep familiarity with performing and understanding electrical/optical measurements.
4. - Ability to characterize experimental set-ups and drive experiments with little supervision.
5. 3. Excellent analytical skills, especially via the use of modelling and graphing software as well as mathematical tools to acquire and analyse experimental data.
6. 4. Ability to produce original work at a high technical level as may be demonstrated, for example, by publications in international peer reviewed scientific journals or other evidence. There must be evidence that the candidate has the ability to independently produce and characterise near-complete devices and experiments.
7. 5. Excellent communication skills both orally and in writing in English at a suitable standard for the preparation of written reports, publications and presentation of research, both within the company and at external engagements.
8. 6. Evidence of self-motivation and the ability to meet agreed deadlines at short notice.
9. 7. Ability to work effectively both independently and as an active member of a team, working cooperatively within the group, while effectively planning your own research within the project.
10. 8. Ability to work in cleanroom environment for extended periods of time.
11. 9. Willingness and ability to travel for short periods to work with collaborators abroad.
1. 10. Evidence of experience in supervising junior researchers or engineers.
2. 11. Candidates should be free to take up the post in January 2016 or soon thereafter if at all possible, although a later starting date may be agreed for a strong appointable candidate.
3. 12. Complementary techniques such as experience with in-situ STEM-TEM, AFM-TEM etc. holders, are desirable. Candidates with a broad experience prior to the doctorate will be considered.
4. 13. Experience of collaborations with external groups and industry