This is a senior management position within the Power Delivery & Integration (PD&I) Business Unit of a major Canadian engineering firm with a long history of success in the energy sector. The successful candidate will manage African business operations for a power transmission and distribution (T&D) business that involves project delivery, system planning and asset management associated with ac and dc power transmission, stations and distribution systems throughout Africa. |
Power Delivery Projects - includes front-end pre-feasibility and feasibility studies and execution-stage project delivery. This includes EPCM project delivery services, Owner's Engineer services, Project/Construction Management services, and pure engineering services. . Projects cover both ac and dc systems.
Grid Integration & Operations - includes power system performance/planning, power system operations planning and system design studies for both ac and dc transmission systems and for power distribution systems, as well as operational readiness studies, asset performance improvement studies, due diligence and asset valuation studies, O&M process reviews, asset condition assessment and end-of-life planning studies. Other specialties include SCADA/EMS/DMS, micro-grid and Smart Grid developments. In addition, the PD&I Business Unit provides support to and collaboration with strategic, organizational and financial consulting work with T&D clients.
The successful candidate will be responsible for marketing T&D services throughout English Africa (and supporting marketing pursuits in French Africa led by others), and for managing the effective delivery of these services to clients. Reporting the Global Director of PD&I, and working closely with Regional Energy and Power leadership in Africa, the Director - Africa will ensure that all project delivery services, system planning services and asset management services are completed in accordance with applicable codes and standards, including all corporate policies and procedures, such as Safety, Environmental, Quality Assurance and Quality Control.
The key accountabilities of the Director - Africa will include:
- Winning new work for the group
- Oversight of profitable delivery of services in the two broad practice areas
- Oversight and leadership of staff
- Project compliance with safety, quality and environmental objectives, and appropriate use of the Hatch QMS, SMS and EMS and other Hatch systems
- Oversight of effective management of client project risks by company project teams, through deployment of company risk identification and analysis frameworks and active management of project risks throughout project execution
- Management of growth across all practice areas
- Marketing leadership for all T&D business development activities in English Africa, and marketing support for pursuits in French Africa.
- Maintain and manage executive level contacts with client industry leaders across Africa, including transmission and distribution companies, regional planning agencies and regional operators, regulators, ministries and multilateral/bilateral aid agencies.
- Management of targeted Business Development activities, including development of marketing materials, client engagement processes, proposal development
- Coordination of all marketing efforts with other Hatch marketing initiatives in Africa, including those of other Power Business Units, other Energy Business Units, and other Business Units in other industrial sectors. Effective communication and coordination with the Global PD&I Business marketing efforts is essential.
- Management of company risk, on active project assignments and on new proposals
- Management of administrative and marketing overheads within the African operations
- Resource planning for delivery of PD&I assignments. utilizing PD&I specialist resource pools existing or planned in company offices in Africa and in other global centers. Working in conjunction with PD&I specialty groups in South America and North America, identify recruitment needs and oversee recruitment initiatives for African requirements.
- Develop and expand the power delivery project capabilities and the Grid Integration & Operations consulting capabilities in Africa, through training, symposiums/conferences and strategic hiring
- Establish and implement improvements to existing methods, procedures and toolsets
Qualifications for the position include:
- Demonstrated people leadership skills
- Demonstrated track record in winning project delivery and consulting work in competitive international environments
- 10+ years of professional experience in the design and execution of power transmission, substation and distribution projects, including project experience at voltages of 230 kV and higher
- Significant project and construction management experience on power transmission, substation, distribution and generation projects in Africa and around the world
- Connections with senior decision makers in power utility and power project development companies across Africa.
- 5+ years experience managing a business engaged in Power Delivery projects execution, in either Owner's Engineer roles or EPC or EPCM roles. Lesser years of experience may be considered in a candidate with proven success
- 5+ years experience managing service delivery on projects involving funding by International Funding Agencies (IFIs) such as World Bank, African Development Bank, USAID, Millenium Challenge or bilateral agencies
- Strong connections with senior decision makers in power utility and power project development companies across Africa.
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communications skills in English is a must. Proficiency in French is highly desirable, and working knowledge of Spanish or Portuguese is an asset