Hourly Rate Bands N/A Salaried/Hourly-Paid Salaried |
To manage the design of projects ranging in value from £1m - £35m from tender stage through to the completion of the construction phase.
To utilise construction knowledge and experience to complete due diligence checks.
To develop innovative and cost effective design solutions in conjunction with the design team, apply value engineering principles to ensure best value for all parties, and ensure an effective construction phase by applying an understanding of site management practices, risks, costs and co-ordination.
- Assist with the Bid Management from first enquiry through to award of contract;
- Manage the design team throughout the tender and/or the construction period and hold design team meetings and workshops as appropriate;
- The Design Manager may directly supervise up to four design coordinator(s) dependent on the size, nature, complexity and design programme of the projects they are managing at any one time;
- Thoroughly appraise tender documentation when received to identify risk, opportunity, insufficient information and inadequate or incorrect design;
- Appoint / vet the Design Team. Ensuring terms and conditions of appointment/novation are acceptable, lead designer role is defined and all services we would normally expect are included;
- Help to plan/manage the tender period to ensure that:
1. sufficient design information is received in time;
2. in conjunction with the Estimator that the BQ is prepared sufficiently early;
3. design subcontractors have sufficient information to prepare quotations; 4. information for presentation purposes is coordinated and developed by consultants and other departments in a timely fashion;
- Develop innovative design solutions to clients briefs with input from the professional team and subcontractors;
- Develop relationships with clients during early concept stages; manage expectations of the project through regular communication and discussions regarding requirements and specifications;
- Work alongside the preconstruction and/or project team to oversee the subcontract enquiries to subcontractor designed packages;
- Identify and check contents for Contractors Proposals, qualifications list, design information and marketing documentation to accompany the tender;
- Adopt a proactive approach to value engineering throughout the design phase, by keeping up to date with latest construction techniques and legislation;
- Attend Contractor selection interviews, including preparation beforehand;
- Prepare the Tender submission presentation including delegation of certain elements to other departments or administrative staff as appropriate;
- Carry out the post contract design management and carry out or oversee the design coordination on site;
- Manage the relationship with the client, subcontractors and professional team to resolve any design queries;
- Review the design on an ongoing basis, identify potential interface problems & practicalities in construction, and resolve with the design team and specialist subcontractors where appropriate;
- Have a good understanding of BIM and have the ability to work alongside the BIM coordinator to interrogate the federated model as part of the design development process;
- To support and be familiar with own role and responsibility in respect of Business Continuity Planning. Ensuring that team members are also aware of the plans and communicates same.
Knowledge skills & experience
- Competent user of Microsoft packages e.g. Outlook, Excel, Word;
- Experience of Powerproject Teamplan or similar (desirable);
- Ability to communicate with a range of people at all levels, both verbally and in writing;
- Adaptable and flexible;
- Ability to plan, organise and project manage;
- Analytical problem solver;
- Client and customer focused in order to build productive relationships;
- Ability to make reasoned and informed judgements and decisions;
- Ability to work independently and also in a team environment;
- Effective leadership skills;
- Comprehensive site experience in engineering or site management role;
- Well developed Technical Construction knowledge;
- Knowledge of current Building Regulations;
- BIM literate (desirable).
About the company
Interserve's vision is to redefine the future for people and places. We are one of the world's foremost support services and construction companies, operating in the public and private sectors in the UK and internationally. We offer advice, design, construction, equipment, facilities management and front-line public services. Interserve is based in the UK and is listed in the FTSE 250 index. We have gross revenue of £3.62 billion and a workforce of 80,000 people worldwide.
We are an Investors in Diversity accredited Company & committed to equal opportunities for all.
We are looking for an experienced Design Manager to work from our office in Cambridge. This role is offered on a full time and permanent basis. In return we are offering a competitive salary, plus company car/allowance, flexible benefits, 24 days annual leave entitlement, share plans, company pension and private medical insurance.
As part of our recruitment process job offers will be subject to a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check.