In September 2016, Tyco, the world’s largest pure-play fire and security company, combined with Johnson Controls (JCI), a global multi-industrial company, to create Johnson Controls plc , a global leader in building products and technology, integrated solutions and energy storage. At present Tyco is a $10 billion company with more than 57,000 employees in 900 locations in nearly 50 countries. It serves the world’s most demanding environments, including banking and financial services, oil and gas, marine, government, healthcare, retail, home security, transportation and commercial and industrial. More information on Tyco and the merger with JCI can be found at NA . |
As a direct report to the President of Tyco Fire Protection Products (FPP) you will be responsible for the 500 R&D staff and their processes that create and support the products of the world’s largest Fire Protection Products business. You will also be a report to the Tyco CTO where you will be a key member on the Tyco Global Engineering Leadership Team. You will work with global engineers to establish connectivity and linkages to core R&D efforts that drive the business agenda and support the overall R&D mission.
Primary Responsibilities :
- Seasoned R&D Leader. Understands product development, firmware, hardware, software and simulation so is able to quickly drive results at the FPP business level with growth potential within the broader JCI Products business portfolio. While broad experience is necessary for success, experience is particularly valued in implementing Lean Startup methods, cloud connectivity and analytics and how to gain advantage from Codes & Standards. Able to manage core engineering processes around design, stage-gate progress, program management, engineering excellence, design for manufacturing and design for six sigma.
- Sustain and advance vibrant engineering community able to attract and unleash talent across engineering disciplines, at different stages of their career, in various geographies and with a significant focus on diversity.
- Partner closely with the Tyco CTO, FPP business President, and broader enterprise and business leadership teams, to drive engineering priorities and processes for innovative, high-quality, timely and cost effective outputs. Has demonstrated business acumen, drives accountability through portfolio management. Able to partner with shared corporate resources to get the best outcomes for FPP and Tyco.
- Establish an understanding of key technology trends that can be leveraged to maintain and gain technology leadership in a competitive landscape and the proven ability to transition the technology trends into the portfolio. Support IP generation that will protect innovations for years to come.
- With a focus on customers, partner closely with Product Management and Manufacturing to design cutting edge hardware and software solutions that are able to be rapidly deployed while leveraging VA/VE to improve margins.
- Create a vision for where disruptive technology could drive value for customers and shareholders, and take calculated risk where appropriate.
- 15 years’ experience with progression to an executive level leading successful R&D teams
- Industrial product experience preferred, but consumer product experience valuable.
- Strong track record of successfully leading the development and launch of significant products and portfolios of products.
- Minimum of a B.S/M.S.(Ph.D. desirable, MBA a plus) in one of the following fields Industrial, Chemical, Electrical, Computer or Mechanical Engineering, or other related technical fields.
- Six Sigma certification (BB, MBB – DMAIC, DFSS, DMODV).