Hourly Rate Bands £7.51 - £8.00 Salaried/Hourly-Paid Hourly-Paid |
We are currently looking to recruit for a porter to work within a hospital based in Welwyn Garden City AL6, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.
To support the provision of a timely and reliable portering service to wards and departments throughout the hospital including Residential Accommodation. This will involve all forms of non-patient logistic tasks, patient movement, medical gas movement, ad hoc requests and the use of radio communication systems.
- Undertake careful and considerate movement of patients by either wheelchair, trolley or bed.
- Undertake the transfer of deceased patients to the Mortuary and to transfer those deceased from the refrigerated store to the viewing room in accordance with current policy and procedures.
- Undertake the movement and the use of any/all relevant machinery in the disposal of all waste in accordance with prescribed methods, procedures and current legislation.
- Undertake the removal and transfer of soiled linen from wards, departments and Residential accommodation to the laundry delivery and collection point. This is to be undertaken in accordance with the prescribed methods and procedures.
- Routinely check, change and deliver mobile gas cylinders in accordance with the prescribed methods and procedures.
- Undertake the careful and considerate transfer of furniture and equipment between the various wards, departments of the hospital and Residential Accommodation, this will include some clinical equipment under the direction of the appropriate authorsed Trust staff.
- Operation of portering equipment in accordance with training.
- Attend tasks allocated by the Help Desk in accordance with guidelines to minimise penalties.
- Undertake the routine and ad hoc collection and delivery of such items as pathology specimens including bloods, pharmaceutical items, patient case notes and x-rays.
- To assist as directed in emergency contingency procedures including Fire, Major Incident, Bomb Threat, loss or interruption to communications, loss or interruption of utility services. This will include the carrying of a bleep for any/all of the above or any other unforeseen circumstances.
- To ensure compliance with Health & safety, ISO9002, Infection Control and COSHH regulations whilst undertaking duties commensurate with the post.
- To undertake the routine and periodic cleaning of patient wheelchairs as prescribed by the Deputy Portering and Domestic Manager. To undertake an ad hoc clean of wheelchairs if it has been used to transport a patient with an infection.
- Collection, delivery and sorting of incoming and outgoing G.P.O/Courier/Internal Mail.
- To participate in any training or meetings required to undertake the duties of this post.
- To observe domestic machinery in accordance with training provided.
- To observe strict compliance with Waste Management Regulations.
- To maintain accurate records as required by best practice, company procedures and current legislation.
- To Maintain the highest standard of personal hygiene in line with Interserve's Hygiene Code of Practise.
- Demonstrate a clear and effective alignment with the operational objectives and commercial interest of Interserve FM.
Be aware of the business continuity plan for the part of the business you work in
What we are looking for
- Previous experience in a similar role would be desirable.
- Experience working in a Hospital environment.
- Good Literate and Numerate skills.
- Ability to follow instructions methodically.
- Able to work without supervision.
- Calm manner, capable of working under pressure.
- Flexible approach to work as role may involve unsociable hours.
- Good standard of personal hygiene.
About the company
Interserve's vision is to redefine the future for people and places. We are one of the world's foremost support services and construction companies, operating in the public and private sectors in the UK and internationally. We offer advice, design, construction, equipment, facilities management and front-line public services. Interserve is based in the UK and is listed in the FTSE 250 index. We have gross revenue of £3.6 billion and a workforce of over 80,000 people worldwide. We are committed to equal opportunities for all.