|Job Ref:||28782BR||Employer:||Black & Veatch||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United States||County/State:||Kansas||City:||Overland Park||Address:||Post Date:||07/10/2016 01:04|
The MDU Fiber Business Lead functions as a technical specialist in a lead role. Under general direction, develops and applies advanced engineering techniques, concepts and approaches to complex engineering problems. May provide technical guidance over a group or supervise engineering staff on projects of low to medium complexity. May be responsible for developing, validating, and presenting specialist/technical output. |
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The MDU Fiber Business Lead is responsible for comprehensive management and oversight of design engineering support for the MDU fiber business. The Lead will oversee the wide range of activities required for quality engineering of MDU network designs. The candidate will be responsible for both the technical guidance and meeting project goals related to schedule and cost. In addition the Lead will provide organizational functions to include team training, mentoring, staffing and oversight of personnel issues. The Candidate is to remain current on MDU fiber industry trends and ongoing client specification changes to provide the team with guidance on developing technologies and project changes related to MDU fiber design.
The MDU Lead is directly responsible for day to day management and oversight of the MDU design team's production while performing a wide range of administrative support activities.
•50% - Staff training, assignment and scheduling
•30% - Proposal Support
•10% - Design review and quality assurance
•10% - Client interface
•Attend Client Kick-Off meetings and follow up calls
•Remain abreast of Fiber MDU design advancements
•Support Marketing and engineering efforts in proposal development.
•Assure Safe working environment and safety standards are compliant
•Oversee training and supporting design standards development
•Assure designs meet client design guidelines and Black and Veatch's quality standards
•Foster a mentoring and teaming environment
•Manage Forecast design allocated hourly budgets and time frames.
•Provide design guidance and direction to team as needed
•Consult with and advise the Engineering group manager and design staff regarding any questions raised in connection with the work
•Work with marketing, construction, cost estimating and project managers to respond to client proposals and change request. Provide executive briefings thereon.
•Work with Project Managers to understand and meet client expectations. Verify that the Client's concerns are addressed.
•Oversees and manage engineering project schedules, budget, and overall cost.
•Monitor status of various section milestones, and provide regular updates to management.
•Cross coordinate projects to assimilate team and drive efficiencies.
•Inspire team to generate process and cost improvements.
•Provide managerial insight into special projects needs such as to new construction methodology and other aspects.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications
• Bachelor's degree in engineering technology or sciences preferred or any other degree, specialized training, or experience, that makes the individual uniquely qualified to perform the job responsibilities.
• Minimum of 7 years related work experience.
• MDU fiber design engineering experience for MDU design
• Ideal candidates will have at least 2-3 years direct telecommunications based team management experience and a minimum 1-3 years of MDU construction involvement.
• Ability to train and direct work activities for 2-5 direct reports and numerous indirect.
• Design production for MDU fiber based networks.
• An in-depth understanding of outside plant fiber optic network infrastructure, engineering design and construction.
• Knowledge/experience with project management tools and Web Applications.
• Strong interpersonal, analytical, decision making and communication skills.
• Experience in managing multiple projects simultaneously.
• Excellent communications skills, strong organizational skills, a high level of integrity, a strong team player, and attention to details are all critical traits of successful B&V Engineers.
Preferred Non-Technical Competencies:
• Written Communications
• Drive For Results
• Decision Quality
• Priority Setting
• Directing Others
• Conflict Management
• Dealing with Ambiguity
• Customer Focus
• Building Effective Teams
• Supervisor Competencies
Preferred Technical Competencies:
• Advanced knowledge of engineering design principles and applicable design guides and standards related to assigned engineering discipline
• Intermediate knowledge of other disciplines
• Advanced ability to interpret engineering deliverable content as assigned
• Intermediate industry knowledge and technology trends
• Intermediate knowledge of company quality program
• Intermediate knowledge of construction & constructability practices & principles
• Intermediate knowledge of procurement & contract administration
• Working knowledge of process, procedures for project controls and estimating
• Intermediate knowledge of technical aspects of the proposal process
• Intermediate business & financial acumen
• Intermediate knowledge of company/division/HR programs, policies, procedures, and organization structure
• Intermediate knowledge of management techniques & administrative practices
Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Disabled/Veterans/Females