|Job Ref:||204748524||Employer:||cv-library.co.uk||Industry:||Civil and Structural||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United Kingdom||City:||Glasgow||Address:||Post Code:||G3||Post Date:||07/10/2016 04:23|
Senior Civil Engineer - Nuclear and Defence - Glasgow|
My clients Nuclear and Defence division offer a diverse range of services including civil and structural engineering, mechanical and electrical building services, mechanical handling, systems engineering, and project and programme management. The core civil and structural engineering business is provision of design and management services supporting nuclear and defence clients. This includes supporting the UK submarine fleet, designing key facilities at, for example, Faslane and Barrow in Furness, and providing design services for the Atomic Weapons Establishment. It also includes support to both existing and new build nuclear power stations. They also offer structural design and analysis, and seismic and blast engineering services, for conventional power facilities, petrochemical and oil and gas industries, the gas distribution industry, airports, and other industrial clients.
We are looking to recruit high calibre staff to support our technical delivery capability to meet opportunities in the nuclear and defence industries.
In the Glasgow office, we require Senior Civil and Structural Engineers, preferably with experience of working in the nuclear/defence industries, but also those with relevant conventional design experience looking to work in a technically challenging environment.
Senior Civil Engineer - Nuclear and Defence - Responsibilities
Working in Nuclear and Defence in Glasgow, you will be involved in delivering structural designs and analysis/assessment studies in a multi-discipline environment. The team includes a wealth of experience and expertise in seismic engineering, structural dynamics, finite element analysis and numerical modelling. Sharing of knowledge and learning of new skills is actively encouraged.
Our projects involve designing and assessing complex structures to resist variable and dynamic effects from earthquakes, dropped loads and impacts, vibrating machinery, mechanical handling, explosions, extreme environmental loading and fire. This requires a fundamental understanding of engineering principles and the considered application of numerical analysis techniques, for example modelling ductile behaviour, 'beyond design basis` response, soil-structure-interaction, and non-linear buckling behaviour. Also required is an understanding of how structural performance contributes to the critical safety function of nuclear facilities.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Technical quality and excellence of your work and the work of those working under you
- Technical and professional guidance, support and development of more junior engineers and technicians
- Communication with clients and other design team members
- Project planning, delivery and financial performance
- Business development activities including preparation of proposals
- Adherence and contribution to business and quality management systems
- Operational and design safety, and developing good safety culture
Senior Civil Engineer - Nuclear and Defence - Qualifications
- Broad experience in civil engineering design and construction
- Good all-round technical design expertise using British and international standards, and/or Eurocodes
- Experience in the management of preparation of drawing and project deliverables
- Good understanding of structural theory and strong analytical skills, with proven problem solving ability
- Good verbal and written communication, and report writing skills
- Ability to lead design aspects of projects including managing quality, budget, programme and resources
- Proven ability to work as part of a team, liasing directly with clients and other design team members
- Good, accredited MEng degree in Civil Engineering or similar
- Chartered Civil or Structural Engineer or be working towards chartered status.
- Experience of structural dynamics, including designing for seismic, blast and impact load effects
- Experience of assessing soil-structure-interaction
- Experience of numerical analysis software
- Experience of fire engineering
- Nuclear industry experience and experience of safety case documentation
- Experience of 3D modelling
All staff will be required to obtain SC level security clearance, and therefore must have been resident in the UK for the preceding 3 years.
Scantec is the 3rd Largest Technical Agency in UK - "Recruitment International Magazine 2015" and specialises in the Manufacturing, IT, Technical, Engineering and Scientific Sectors. Scantec provide highly qualified and experienced personnel in a compliant and professional manner on both a permanent and temporary assignment basis.
Due to the high volume of applications Scantec receives it is not always possible to acknowledge every application. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted within 28 days. If you don`t hear from us within 28 days your application has not been shortlisted at this time, to be considered for future vacancies please register with us on our website