|Job Ref:||SEA16-5866||Employer:||General Dynamics US||Industry:||Civil and Structural||Country:||United States||County/State:||Washington||City:||Bothell||Address:||Post Date:||16/10/2016 05:11|
Summary: Prepares preliminary and detail designs of GD-OTS products for application to contracted programs, new business activities, and independent research and development programs. Participates in activities to obtain new and follow on business. Plans, schedules, conducts, and coordinates detailed phases of engineering work as part of a major project or in a total project of moderate scope. Performs work that involves conventional engineering practices, but may include a variety of complex features such as conflicting requirements, unsuitability of conventional approaches, and difficult coordination requirements. Work requires a broad knowledge of precedents in specialty areas and a good knowledge of principles and practices of related engineering disciplines. Requires a high degree of creative ability, engineering skill, and independent judgment.|
Essential Duties & Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Makes full use and application of standard engineering principles, theories, concepts, and techniques.
• Understands all conventional aspects of the functional area of the assignment.
• Plans and conducts work requiring judgment in the independent evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard techniques, procedures, and criteria. Devises new approaches to problems encountered.
• Understands and is capable of implementing standard approaches to problem prevention and problem solution.
• Requires sufficient professional experience to assure complete competence in the functional area of assignment.
• Independently conducts detail design of GD-OTS product lines including piece-parts, components, modules, and systems.
• Conducts detail design of test equipment.
• Interfaces with manufacturing, quality, project office, and other Engineering Department personnel to evolve design. Takes design input requirements from various organizations, resolves conflicting requirements, and evolves optimum design approach.
• Makes presentations to customers on contracted programs summarizing product design and potential customers on GD-OTS design approaches as a part of new business activities.
• Serves as member of CCB and MRB boards on programs that the individual is assigned design engineer responsibility.
• Knowledgeable of special processes and process control requirements including welding, brazing, and surface finishing.
• Prepares preliminary designs in support of GD-OTS proposals and document design approach in proposal write-up.
• Knowledgeable of manufacturing processes and machine tools required in the fabrication of GD-OTS products.
• Performs preliminary stress or thermal analysis in support of design approach or configuration selection.
• Prepares write-ups for design reports when required by program requirements, documenting design and design compliance against requirements.
• Independently anticipates problem areas in design and take corrective action to minimize or eliminate probability of problem occurring.
• Maintains a well-organized, neat and safe work area. Immediately terminates any unsafe activities and advises the EH&S contact of the same.
• Demonstrates and promotes teamwork and cooperation with team members at all levels in the organization to solve problems and improve processes.
• Experienced in design of aerospace hardware.
• Thorough knowledge of properties and application of aerospace alloys.
• Ability to translate general customer requirements into products, specific requirements and program elements.
• Ability to perform in a fast-paced independent atmosphere.
• Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in the English language.
• Computer proficiency (MS Office applications - Excel, Project, Word, PowerPoint, etc.).
• Ability to work with all levels of personnel in an efficient and effective manner.
• Understands and implements standard practices for engineering drawings as required by ASME Y14.100M.
• Proficient CAD system user.
Education and/or Experience: Requires a Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology, or equivalent technical degree.
At least five (5) years related experience, Master of Science Degree in Engineering and at least three (3) years related experience, or Ph.D. Degree and no experience required.