|Job Ref:||EMP375939||Employer:||Matchtech Group plc.||Country:||United Kingdom||City:||Winfrith Newburgh||Address:||Post Code:||DT2||Salary:||£48,000 - £52,000/year||Post Date:||07/10/2016 21:29|
Our client are a major naval technology business currently seeking an experienced Project Manager to join them in their Dorset offices. Candidates should have a background in managing product development projects.|
Strong Project Management experience in a product development environment. Ideally defence or technology.
The role of the Project Manager is to manage projects such that the project objectives for time, cost and quality requirements are achieved. This also includes ensuring that after completion of the project any required in service support functions can be carried out. It is the PM’s responsibility to ensure that all means are used to ensure the implementation of the project according to plan.
- PMs are also key contributors to bids, often Bid Managers, and required to apply the fundamental project management principles and methodology to bids including:
- Statement of requirements and solution
- Competitor/market analysis
- Success criteria – project, stakeholder, business, strategic, etc.
- Commercial and procurement requirements
- Cash flow, pricing, financials
- Risk analysis
- The PM is responsible for both the internal and external (customer, stakeholder and subcontractor) aspects required for the execution and delivery of the project. The essential tasks include:
- Participation in defining the project structure and plan, defining the Work Breakdown Structure and Work Packages building on the information generated during the bid phase;
- Definition of the Project Team that will lead the project delivery;
- Clear definition and placement of work packages, subcontracts, and purchase orders required to deliver the project in line with applicable procurement strategies;
- Ensuring appropriate risk, opportunity, security, trade controls and configuration management for the project;
- Planning, monitoring, control and update of the project;
- Ensuring that the contract remains up to date and consistent with the project goals and business objectives;
- Ensuring that contract milestones are met and that cash flow is optimised.
- Within the business the PM is responsible to the Head of Delivery in all matters relating to the successful outcome of the project as defined in the Project Management Plan and via approved project budgets;
- External to the business, the PM is responsible to the customer for the success of the economic and technical planning, implementation, delivery and completion of a project.
- The PM represents the project on behalf of the business to the customer, external partners and stakeholders and suppliers.
- For the processing of tasks entirely within the project team the PM sets and supervises the corresponding goals and targets for the project team, Work package providers or suppliers and, if necessary, he/she initiates measures to reach those goals.
The PM role requires the following competencies:
- Candidates should have achieved adequate recognition as a professional Project Manager via a proven track record. Ideally, candidates will previously have gained experience in project management disciplines and demonstrated competence in those disciplines via delivery of tasks, Work Packages, and projects that are sufficient to justify the ability of the candidate to successfully deliver projects. Candidates will also ideally have membership of an appropriate and recognised professional project management organisation, e.g. UK Association for Project Management.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Good organisational and leadership skills.
- Good commercial skills and awareness; ability to understand contracts and provide an input into contracts where required.
- Domain knowledge and track record with submarine systems contracts and defence contracts in general will be advantageous to applicants but is not essential.