|Job Ref:||204753868||Employer:||cv-library.co.uk||Industry:||Civil and Structural||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United Kingdom||County/State:||Hertfordshire||City:||Hatfield||Address:||Post Code:||DN7||Post Date:||08/10/2016 04:16|
Design Manager- Automation / Engineering
I am currently looking to recruit a Design Manager to join my client based in Hertfordshire.
The Design Manager is responsible for ensuring design requests from the R&D team are resourced either by the design team or outsourced to an appropriate supplier or partner.
Your key customers are:
• R&D Manager
• R&D Projects Team
• R&D Safety Team
• R&D Reliability Team
• R&D Systems Engineering team
• R&D NPI team
• R&D DFM team
• Create the capability within the company to internalise the design of its core products
• Recruit a team of Electrical Engineers, Mechanical Engineers, Structural Engineers, Electronics Engineers and create the appropriate team structure
• Resource all designs requests from the R&D team through the use of internal resource and supplier base
• Grow the supplier base of designers, contractors , fabricators and manufacturers
• Formally review designs at critical milestones to ensure product quality; including review of both internal and outsourced designs
• Recruit the expertise to, or set best practice for Electrical design including compliance to relevant standards
• Recruit the expertise to, or set best practice for Structural design including compliance to relevant standards
• Recruit the expertise to, or set best practice for Mechanical design including compliance to relevant standards
• Recruit the expertise to, or set best practice for Electronic design including compliance to relevant standards
• Resource plan the design team to ensure on time delivery of design work packages and the scheduling of work packages from the R&D Team
• Streamline the design process through the appropriate use of de risk tools including modelling , simulation , FEA, FMEA, concept and prototyping techniques
• Selecting the appropriate tools and software to enable the design team deliver high quality designs in a fast pace innovative company.
• Ensure the quality of design documentation with strict adherence to change control and versioning
• Work closely with R&D Manager and Projects Manager to schedule design work and plan future workload
• Work closely with the Technical Manager to ensure robust design process are adopted , systems are partitioned appropriately and interfaces are defined, managed and considered as part of the design process
• Contribute to IP generation and innovation streams within the company
The main place of work is currently based from the Hertfordshire sites with the requirement for occasional visits to other UK sites.
This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities which may form part of the job.
Skills and Knowledge Required
• Previous experience in a similar role as a design manager
• Experience in recruiting a team and building a capability
• Management and leadership skills appropriate for growing team
• Experience in balancing resource and workload
• Experience in managing an internal cross functional team , specifically the ability to manage a team outside your core area of expertise
• Design experience in one or all of the key design functions of mechanical, electrical , electronic or structural engineering
• Expertise in de risking , modelling , simulation and prototyping
• Familiarity with systems engineering approach
• Strong time management and prioritisation skills
• Willing to travel both in the UK and abroad to attend meetings and conferences.
If you have the above skills and wish to be considered for this position or find out more details then please submit your CV.
We will endeavour to contact all applicants however if you do not hear from me within two weeks then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful