|Job Ref:||WAT00100||Employer:||GHD Pty Ltd||Country:||Canada||County/State:||Ontario||City:||Waterloo||Address:||Post Date:||08/10/2016 05:01|
GHD is one of the world's leading professional services companies operating in the global markets of water, energy and resources, environment, property and buildings, and transportation. |
Privately owned by our people, GHD provides engineering, environmental and construction services to private and public sector clients across five continents and the Pacific region. Focused on creating lasting community benefit, our connected global network of 8500 people delivers projects with high standards of safety, quality, and ethics. Committed to sustainable development, GHD improves the physical, natural and social environments of the many communities in which we operate.
Due to continuing growth, we are seeking a Junior Spill Engineer with experience in environmental investigation and remediation to join our Spill Response Team in our Waterloo office.
Emergency Spill Response:
• Required to be available 24/7 to assist with emergency spill response work for clients
• Spills may include train derailments, pipeline releases, trucking accidents, chemical spills, etc.
• Assist in preparing emergency response plans, participation in emergency exercises, and facilitation of training exercises, etc.
• Participate in emergency spill response projects
• Responsible for contractor oversight including containment of spills, investigative drilling, monitoring well installation, in-situ groundwater remediation, soil excavation, product removal, sediment remediation, stream and river rehabilitation, site restoration, etc.
• Conduct water level monitoring, soil sampling, groundwater sampling, surface water sampling, sediment sampling, and air monitoring
• Assist with preparation of regulatory submissions on behalf of clients
• Responsible for creating draft reports to be reviewed by Supervisor or Project Manager
• Responsible for creating charts and figures for review by Project Manager
• Responsible for assisting with file reviews on historical spills
• Assist in the preparation of project related memorandums
• Assisting Project Manager with proposal writing including cost estimates
• Researching regulatory information using various resources
• Assisting Project Managers with coordination of field activities including managing field personnel, analytical project set up, procuring and managing subcontractors, and budget tracking
• Assist with coordination of technical resources and support staff including drafting, database, chemists, and other personnel
Skills, Competencies and Qualifications:
• NA. (Bachelor of Applied Science in Engineering or Bachelor of Engineering (Environmental, Civil, Geological, or equivalent). Minor in business administration or similar is considered an asset
• 0-5 years' experience required, co-op experience would be considered an asset
• Flexible work schedule, ability to work weekends and nights when required
• Previous experience working in a consulting is an asset
• Proficient in MS Office is required
• Excellent organizational skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential to this role in order to effectively express technical information to subcontractors, field staff, clients, colleagues, etc.
• Work as a team member to exceed client expectations
• G driver's license and access to a vehicle
• High level of attention to detail, analytical skills along with time management skill to be able to meet deadlines
• Field work will require working long hours, working in inclement weather conditions, and lifting up to 50 lbs.
• HAZWOPER, H2S Alive, and ICS training is considered an asset
We offer an opportunity to be part of a growing, dynamic employee-owned company, a professional working environment with career development potential, flexible hours and competitive salary packages based on qualifications, skills and experience.