BHP Billiton's Marketing activities are undertaken through a centralised marketing organisation with a network of offices across the world supporting our major customer markets and the distribution of product from our operations. A majority of Marketing staff are located in Asia with Singapore being the primary hub office.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Senior Manager Sales Operations (Nickel) to join the team. The role is in charge of managing Nickel books under Marketing's mandate, in collaboration with the Customer Liaison, Freight and Planning teams within Marketing and Integrated Operations teams from Nickel West. The Senior Manager Sales Operations will optimise commercial outcomes by building specific tactical plans, within prescribed strategic objectives, risk and working capital operational limits. Tactical plans will be successful when driven by sound understanding of short-term forward looking market conditions, optimising product and supply chain options, and managing unplanned operational changes, enabling sustainable value creation from the Mine to Customers.
- Demonstrates and instils an overriding commitment to health, safety, environmental responsibility and sustainable development.
- Demonstrates commitment to the BHP Billiton Charter and Code of Business Conduct.
- Manages, develops, motivates, and coaches an international team, towards achieving goals.
- Leads in positively influencing and shaping the Marketing culture to ensure a working environment that promotes inclusiveness, engagement and continuous improvement.
- Identifies and develops talent and capability, including a pipeline of talent for key positions.
- Leads and drives adherence to all relevant external and internal performance standards, Group and Business Level requirements and statutory legislation.
- Provides input to 5-Year Plan objectives and budget, driving performance and implementation in alignment with overall Marketing drivers.
- Approves the frameworks, policies and practices for the Function.
- Leads and drives adherence to all relevant external and internal performance standards, Group and Business Level requirements, and statutory legislation, while, at the same time, instigating continuous improvement of these standards and requirements through benchmarking, creative thinking and wider team engagement.
- Drives mitigation of credit and performance risk, effecting position realisation and cash collection, ensuring risk positions for a given commodity are consolidated in a single book to enable a current aggregated view.
- Approves risk reports in alignment with company requirements and ensures risk levels are always kept within the approved limits.
- Establishes and maintains effective internal communication channels with the following stakeholders: (Marketing) Finance, Freight, Risk, Credit, Legal, Customer Liaison, Planning and A&I, (Business) Asset planning and Integrated Operations teams in close collaboration with the Business Liaison, (External) PRA's for ongoing reporting and Index performance feedback and warehousing companies; (External) Customers and other stakeholders in support of the GM Sales.
- Evaluates deals and owns the active sales book(s) for the respective Trading and Marketing Unit (TMU).
- Proactively identifies value accretive new business, across country/region, in line with strategic objectives
- Thinks creatively about business structure and can connect opportunities across regions
- Understands key value/cost drivers for the Business ("Value Driver Tree")
- Supports productivity objectives by proposing alternative business opportunities and process simplification across value/cost drivers
- Translates broader commodity-specific strategy into value-accretive tactical delivery plans in collaboration with the Customer Liaison teams and the Planning teams, across the following levers: customer/regional placement; uncommitted/spot placement; contract structure and pricing; supply-chain optimization.
- Synthesizes market views from all stakeholders into a clear view on market direction for key commercial parameters (including base price and differentials).
- Optimises commercial outcomes within prescribed strategic, risk and working capital operational limits
- In collaboration with Freight and Integrated Operations, optimises throughput, end-to-end costs and stock/working capital levels. Responsible for optimising commercial outcomes within prescribed risk and working capital operational limits
- Within the architecture defined by the Marketing Planning team, provides valuable input into developing the Commodity-specific Strategy
- Has a clear understanding and can effectively articulate the Marketing Strategy and the broader BHP Billiton strategy
- Contribute (through regular feedback to the Planning team) to the improvement of the Commodity/Marketing Strategy
- Manages the execution of commercial arrangements for third party supply-chain capacity and services required from the point of saleable/purchasable product to the point of sale to the customer or supply into an operation.
- Manages all claims relating to transportation and/or material handling with the aim to minimise exposure to BHP Billiton and reach satisfying settlements for all parties and liaise with insurers where applicable.
- Leads the team in ensuring that all production can be placed in the market so that Operations produce at full capacity.
A Bachelors/ Master's degree in a commercial, business and/or technical discipline or adequate business experience with 5 - 10 plus years working experience in sales/marketing roles in commodity markets. Commercial experience & good knowledge of Nickel markets and products would be a key differentiating factor and would be an added advantage. Computer literate and SAP experience highly recommended. Candidates must be willing to travel overseas on a regular basis and have an ability to work in a multicultural environment with good interpersonal and leadership skills is essential. Fluent in English, both verbal and written and a knowledge of other languages advantageous.
How to Apply