1. Scope of Responsibilities|
Operate as part of a team of engineers and designers in carrying out detailed engineering work; assume responsibility for conceptual and detailed design (Concept, Front End or Basic, Material, Stress Analysis, Layout Engineering, Coordination of 3D modelling) and provide necessary technical information for procurement in compliance with tender specifications/data sheets and within work budgeted man-hour and project schedules.
Although not directly involved for issuing deliverables in optimum work share environment, job expectation is to work in collaboration with VEC to have full control on project in terms of integrity, schedule and budget keeping close monitor on VEC productivity.
2. Primary Duties
- Review contract documents and identify requirements and scope of work for project execution. Review specifications, drawings and other documents as per project work share agreement with VEC. Establish contract review criteria, identify and resolve discrepancies and divergences from original proposal through the instigation of technical queries to Projects/Client.
- Main focus is to work in collaboration with VEC to maintain a stronghold of the project goals (Ensuring integrity & safety of the design, meeting quality as per contractual intent, meeting schedule, optimizing procurement & construction cost and maintaining high productivity) when executed by VEC as per optimum work share environment.
- Implementation of applicable Lesson Learnt throughout the project cycle.
- Successful implementation of agreed Value Engineering points.
- To drive right behaviour in VEC team to ensure all round performance and delivery.
- Work collectively with VEC to promote fit for purpose design philosophy.
- Greater flexibility in mobility.
- Work clearly as per the interface between Head Office & VEC adhering to SLA.
- Control, coordinate change using change control procedure.
- Escalate serious risk to senior management & always have a fall back plan that allows time to react.
- Operate & facilitate VEC team to promote "First Time Right" policy.
- To focus on piping bulk delivery and piping prefabrication activity.
- To focus along with VEC on design development to meet or beat the proposal estimation.
- Focus on engineering support for Piping deliverables, requirements of Painting, Coating & Fireproofing.
- Identify & expedite vendor documents that will impact project schedule.
- Review Model at own desk regularly & ensure proper Model Review preparation w.r.t. Model Review preparation control sheet & checklist prepared by VEC.
- Facilitate prompt response to Site query.
- To focus on piping bulk delivery and piping prefabrication activity.
- Ensure proper data input to Suppliers in right time.
- Identify critical engineering parameters and establish deliverables e.g. specifications, datasheets, layout drawings, stress analysis, isometrics, bill of materials and other applicable deliverables.
- Participate in the planning of man-hours, resources and organize the preparation of the Technical Document Register (TDR).
- Prepare conceptual/study layouts and designs and provide necessary inputs for modelling and drafting.
- Obtain the required inputs from other engineering disciplines e.g. mechanical data sheets, foundation and structure details, instrument specifications and other necessary data.
- Perform calculations for pipe wall thickness, reinforcement pads and others as per the relevant piping codes and standards.
- Stress analyse piping systems through the use of Caesar II software and prepare stress analysis reports, incorporating contract specifications and international codes, update isometric sheets as required. Identify stress factors and layout feasibility, resolve design irregularities. Provide piping loads to Civil Discipline, coordinate on technical issues as required.
- Perform and coordinate Material Take-off (MTO) activities and provide necessary details for further procurement activities.
- Participate in the set-up of the Material Management system (VPRM) incorporating the project specifications. Coordinate and incorporate the MTO from the 3D model. Update and maintain the system to incorporate the latest material requirements.
- Prepare and issue engineering drawings and technical documents for Inter-disciplinary Design Checks (IDC's). Review and integrate comments and inputs of other engineering discipline into the relevant documents.
- Prepare and issue Inquiry Requisitions to vendors. Perform Technical Bid Evaluations (TBE). Review vendor drawings, documents and design calculations. Ensure vendor equipment specifications meet with client equipment specifications and within budgeted costs.
- Prepare and issue Purchase Requisitions for the procurement of equipment and materials. Coordinate with Procurement and provide necessary assistance to Expediting and Quality Departments.
- Participate in the preparation of all necessary documents up to the final IFC (Issued for Construction) stage, e.g. plot plans, piping plans, isometrics, locations plans, pipe support standards, material specifications and other relevant drawings and specifications.
- Participate in the set-up of the 3D CAD system (PDS/PDMS) incorporating the project specifications. Customize the system to deliver the model, drawings and data as per the project requirements. Attend to the day to day modelling problems of designers.
- Meet with vendor representatives, inspect vendor works and workshops and provide assistance to Quality Department as required.
- Interface and provide clarifications, guidance and technical support to Construction and Commissioning teams as required.
- Participate in the preparation of the final "As Built" 3D model, layouts and other documents.
- Perform related duties as and when directed by the direct supervisor.
3. Job/Cost Impact
Responsible for the detailed technical work, coordinates between Discipline engineers and designers, acts as interface with other disciplines and Procurement. Cost/delivery impact situations are reviewed by supervisors.
4. Decision Making Authority
Decisions limited to the technical scope of project and specifications.
5. Supervisory Responsibility
Supervises junior engineers and designers.
6. Work Contacts
Engineering Discipline Supervisors - When Required
Other Discipline Engineers - Frequently
Project Managers - When Required
Project Control - When Required
Procurement and expediting - When Required
Client Representatives - When Required
Vendor Representatives - When Required
Commissioning Personnel - When Required
Construction Personnel - When Required
Subcontractor Representatives - When Required
7. Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Refer to HR/OD Competency Management System (CMS)
8. Physical Effort and Work Environment
Duties performed in Main Office mostly in air-conditioned surroundings. Occasionally incumbent would require traveling to sites and vendor workshops. Approximate 70% of time spent on the computer.
9. Minimum Job Requirement
Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering with a minimum of 8 years related oil & gas/petrochemical experience preferable from a background in working for EPC/consultancy organizations.