|Job Ref:||204766102||Employer:||cv-library.co.uk||Industry:||Civil and Structural||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United Kingdom||City:||Stevenage||Address:||Post Code:||SG1||Post Date:||11/10/2016 04:10|
The Guided Weapon Safety Officer (GWSO) role is in the UK Product Safety Department.
The GWSO is responsible for providing independent safety assurance to members of project teams, to senior management and the Customer.
The GWSO has a unique opportunity to develop a valued and trusted relationship with (Safety-Related) Product Designers, Product and Company Design Signatories, Customers and Suppliers.
UK Product Safety resides within System Design and Validation (SD&V) (UK) however, there are opportunities for the GWSO to interact with employees throughout MBDA.
What will you be doing?
The GWSO is required to provide independent safety assurance:
- that appropriate standards of safety are being observed during the design of a product;
- that the safety aspects of design requirements are embodied at all stages from the formulation of initial design to the eventual production standard;
- that the product development programme makes adequate provision for the systematic assessment of items to be delivered to establish that safety features have been effectively included in the design;
- the GWSO will have active involvement in design reviews and the issue of Certificates of Design;
- act as the MBDA(UK) independent safety assurance signatory for Safety-Related products.
The GWSO needs:
- To be acquainted with the safety aspects of all design requirements;
- To be kept informed of the current trends and advances in technology likely to influence safety and, where appropriate, to make proposals for improvement in the safety content of design;
- To be kept informed of the current trends and advances in both hazard and risk assessment techniques/methods;
- To instigate action to resolve any problems of interpreting the safety aspects of design requirements;
- To instigate action taken to resolve any delay or difficulty in conforming with the safety aspects of design requirements;
- To provide advice to Project Teams on aspects of safety;
- To provide advice to the Design Teams, Suppliers and the Customer of any interface problems affecting safety that are likely to arise from the use of equipment;
- To be able to provide guidance and training on the MBDA Product Safety Process, encompassing: Product Safety Management, Hazard Analysis, and Safety Design Rules;
- To be acquainted with the Explosives Safety Process to ensure compatibility with requirements of UK explosives legislation;
- To provide guidance and advice relating to explosives
- To have had some safety-related design experience;
- To have some experience in electrical or electronics design.
What are the benefits for you?
Holders of the GWSO role:
- gain a wide range of technical experiences
- are involvement with customers
- are involvement with suppliers
- have opportunities to interact with personnel at all levels of the company
- have opportunities for travel within the UK and Europe
- have opportunities for language development appropriate to project activities
- are part of a very diverse team of employees who are genuinely interested in their fields
- enjoy a high level of autonomy and respect
- have ready access to in-house experts to supplement knowledge
- have daily opportunities to network
- will gain experiences to support advancement to other roles such as:
- Project Safety Manager, Chief Systems Engineer, Chief Design Engineer, Chief Engineer etc.
- Technical Expert, Head of Product Safety
What`s great about joining this team?
- The Product Safety Team work across all MBDA UK products, giving depth of experience and opportunity to all team members
- Become part of a very diverse team of highly motivated scientists and engineers, who are genuinely interested in their fields
- Frequent exposure to high-profile, fast-paced projects
- Enjoy a high level of autonomy
- Have ready access to in-house experts to supplement knowledge
- The opportunity to join motivated teams, working together to provide the best solutions possible to our customer needs.
Who and what we are looking for from you?
- Ideally degree qualified or equivalent
- Adaptable approach
- Team Player, capable of working jointly with others from various disciplines to reach a consensus agreement.
- Good verbal and written communications
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Pro-active / self-starter
- An ability to use their enthusiasm and drive to work autonomously and efficiently to influences team members and other stakeholders
- To have a good understanding of the development of a Safety-Related functions
- To be familiar with standards associated the development of Safety-Related functions
- Willingness to travel within the UK and occasionally within Europe.
Please note that in order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible for SC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news.
LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence)