|Job Ref:||204762813||Employer:||cv-library.co.uk||Industry:||Civil and Structural||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United Kingdom||City:||Kings Lynn||Address:||Post Code:||PE30||Salary:||£30000 - £35000/annum Pension||Post Date:||11/10/2016 04:12|
PRODUCT DESIGN ENGINEER |
We currently have a requirement for a Product Design Engineer II to join our Innovation team. Based in Cambridge, the key purpose of this role is to carry out a range of engineering activities for innovation projects to identify, design and develop new drug delivery products.
To carry out a range of design engineering activities for innovation projects to identify, design and develop new drug delivery products
* Contribute to the development of new drug delivery devices, from early stage product concepts to ready for clinical trial product, in line with the companies innovation strategy, Quality system and Development Process.
* Contribute as a team member to allocated work-streams within innovation projects, to meet project targets and ensure output meets with customer expectations and operational needs.
* Utilise project and engineering knowledge to drafts extracts of technical reports and design documentation for review and input into (client) reports ensuring that they are accurate and informed.
* Adopt a continuous improvement approach by proactively seeking out development opportunities by learning and attending training courses to ensure that department has right skills to deliver business needs.
* Provide competent product design engineering and process knowledge to support with activities and business decision making within speciality area.
* Procurement of prototype parts using rapid prototype techniques and processes.
* Liaise with appropriate suppliers, to procure tools and commission parts for new products to the agreed specification.
* Carry out diligent laboratory testing, including creation of test protocols, designing and procuring test apparatus, analysis of results and report writing.
JOB SPECIFIC ACCOUNTABILITIES
* Gather market and user requirements and technical specifications for new products, for example via conference attendance or desk based research.
* Create hand drawn sketches and computer generated images for new business concepts to communicate ideas and ensure that the design concept meets the functional requirements.
* Review new product concepts with regard to cost, effectiveness and safety and also identify the suitability and availability of materials and component parts.
* Input into Human Factors (HF) studies by assisting in the development of stimulus, such as models and visuals, recommendations for the structure of the studies, and interpretation of the results to identify user requirement for new products.
* Carry out technical analysis of mechanical systems, such as tolerance analysis, Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) and Design for Manufacturing and Assembly (DFMA) assessments to ensure that the parts that will form a product can be reliably and repeatedly manufactured and assembled.
DECISION MAKING AND INFLUENCE
* Required to make decisions within remit above and to escalate issues with significant risk/implication to relevant Technical Lead, Project Manager or Innovation Manager - People.
* Uses a range of standard and well established methods.
* Plans own work on a daily basis. Direction is available as required from peers and manager.
* Objectives will be regularly reviewed against the plan.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES
* Educated to degree level (or equivalent), preferably in an Engineering subject.
* Experience level - Competent - Demonstrable industry experience.
* Experience of using a 3D parametric CAD system such as Solid works for creating parts, assemblies and drawings.
* Experience of visualising new product concepts.
* Experience of engineering analysis and a working knowledge of FMEA and DFMA.
* Experience of a range of engineering processes including conducting test processes, writing reports (technical and design/specification documentation), experimental diligence and the ability to collect analyse and interpret data.
* Knowledge of a range of rapid prototyping techniques and processes.
* Ability to work in a multi-functional team and to build relationships with peers.
* Ability to manage own time and work in a fast paced environment.
* A 'can do' attitude and ability to work on own initiative.
* Experience of working in the healthcare and medical device industry.
* Knowledge of ISO 13485 quality system for the design and development of medical devices or similar quality systems.
* Experience of developing plastic components suitable for high volume manufacture.
* Experience of developing robust mechanisms using injection moulded components