Senior Design Engineer The Senior Design Engineer will provide subject matter expertise and direction of signalling design activities to achieve the maximum output in producing outline and detailed signalling design from the resource available. The SDE will have experience of signaling design and be considered competent in design management, design assurance or complex technical design.|
What are my responsibilities?
What do I need to qualify for this job?
- The Senior Design Engineer will usually undertake a role as a Design Manager, Signalling Contractor's Responsible Engineer (or equivalent) or as a technical specialist capable of producing, checking or specifying complex signaling design.
- Ensure that the technical standards are maintained in all aspects of signalling design work, in order that safe and successful project implementation and future reliability is achieved.
- Participate in and monitor the planning and progress of works in relation to timeline and budget and ensure that the development, design, construction and testing requirements are met and effect remedial action when required.
- Provide support and input to Project Managers, Project Engineers and the Engineering Manager on allocated projects.
- Assist with forecasting the overall design resources and key skills necessary for allocated projects in sufficient time to ensure that they can be provided.
- Evaluate the quality and technical accuracy of tenders and make recommendations to obtain the best available commercial award for the Company.
- Direct such training as may be required including the briefing in of new technical instructions, procedures, handbooks and Signalling Principles.
- Focus on signalling design team development through support in the completion of annual performance appraisals, career reviews and development plans.
- Discharge safety responsibilities in relation to CDM Regulations, Health and Safety legislation, Company procedures including development of the project Safety Plan.
- Act in the role of Contractor's Responsible Engineer as directed.
- Maintain a continuous communication with contractors and customers in the development and implementation of projects to ensure a uniformity of purpose and common targets.
- Perform duties as directed by management from time to time.
- IRSE Engineering Manager's licence or a combination of Principles Design and Design Verifier licences.
- Established professional status within the signalling industry, with experience of engineering implementation on signalling schemes in the UK or overseas.
- Safety culture aware - to be able to influence and develop an existing safety culture to latest generation thinking and practice, for both technical and operational safety.
- Supportive of a consistent company-wide approach to continuous improvement.
- Strong leadership qualities including personal drive, persuasive communication skills, enthusiasm and support for company goals.
- A broad base of engineering skills, experiences, knowledge and competencies covering the full engineering lifecycle, together with the requisite personal characteristics to take responsibility for facilitating cross disciplinary engineering activity in complex, innovative and commercially challenging environments.
- Previous experience in systems engineering, project engineering and design of safety critical or safety related real-time systems, test and installation environments.
- Strong and effective communicator at all levels within the business - and in front of new and existing customers - both internal and external.
- Demonstrates an ability to work in an environment where calculated risk taking is necessary.
- Must be willing to fill gaps in own knowledge and experience through taking a pro-active approach to learning, and seeking information from within and outside the company.
- Chartered Engineer status.
- Commercially aware - be able to forecast and manage resource utilisation and costs.
- To have passed four modules in the IRSE Professional Examinations
- A1 Assessor Qualification
- Member of the IET, IRSE or other recognised professional body.