|Job Ref:||38707||Employer:||Goodrich||Country:||Ireland||City:||Cork||Address:||Post Date:||12/10/2016 05:04|
United Technologies Research Center (UTRC) is the corporate research center of United Technologies Corporation (UTC), a dynamic global Fortune top 50 corporation operating at the leading edge of commercial and military aviation, aerospace systems, climate control, elevator design, and security and fire protection.|
United Technologies Research Centre Ireland, Ltd. (UTRCI), established in 2009, conducts research into the next generation of energy and security systems for high-performance buildings, generating world-class technologies for UTC's commercial businesses worldwide. Recently, UTRC Ireland added aerospace systems research to its portfolio to support UTC's large industrial presence in Europe. UTRCI invites qualified individuals to apply for the following position in its Cork office. A competitive compensation and benefits package will be provided to the successful candidate.
Learn more @ NA
UTRCI has an opening for a Senior Research Scientist in the area of Wireless Sensor Networks and "Internet of Things" technologies.
Successful candidates should be able to demonstrate outstanding track records in three or more of the following fields: performance-driven wireless sensor network planning & deployment, energy & security management in wireless sensor networks, distributed sensing and control over wireless networks, "internet of things" approaches to system architecture and deployment, network-level sensor data fusion, and low power physical layer design & implementation. Prior exposure to experimental deployments or commercialization of such technology is a key differentiator for this position.
The successful candidate will contribute to expanding an established research agenda related to Aerospace and Building & Industrial Systems technologies. The successful candidate will join a multidisciplinary, multinational technology team developing new technologies that will provide competitive advantage for United Technologies Corporation (UTC) business units, is expected to contribute towards technical strategy and business development through Irish and European grant acquisition, and be able to partner with leading institutions (university, government agencies, national labs, and professional organizations) to meet organizational objectives.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter who works well in an international teaming environment, is well-organized and has excellent interpersonal, leadership and communication skills. Besides technical excellence, an entrepreneurial attitude towards innovation is essential.
A doctoral degree in Computer Science, Electrical or Computer Engineering with 0-2+ years of industrial or academic experience, or a master's degree with 2-5+ years of industrial or academic experience in the areas of wireless sensor networks, embedded systems, or middleware architectures, is required. A PhD with post-doctorate industrial or academic experience is preferred.
The ideal candidate will have experience in the following areas:
• Demonstrated analytical, modelling, and simulation skills in several of the following areas: communication protocols, routing algorithms, network security, and power management for embedded platforms.
• Demonstrated analytical, modelling, and simulation skills in: robust and energy efficient modulation, error correction (FEC, ARQ) and channel estimation techniques for wireless and/or power line communication systems, frequency- and time-domain modeling and simulation, antenna system design, power management and energy harvesting techniques for wired & wireless sensor networks.
• Practical experience in at least one of the following areas: operating systems for wireless sensors (such as Contiki or TinyOS) and embedded systems, prototyping platforms, middleware architectures, communication protocols, routing algorithms, network security, and power management for embedded platforms.
• Software skills demonstrated through prototype implementations in one or more of the following is required: C++/C/Java/Python.
• Excellent communication skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team to successfully achieve desired technical outcomes within time and budget constraints.
• Ability to adapt to new challenges and go beyond the original field of expertise.
The ideal candidate will also have experience in several of the following areas:
• Familiarity with hardware interface programming, sensor interface circuits and low power RF and mixed-signal circuit design for prototyping both wired & wireless sensor networks.
• Experience in building and deploying solutions integrating WSNs, cloud-based applications and mobile devices
• Record of technical contributions, including patents and publications in refereed technical journals and major conferences, and successful proposals for external funding/contracts/grants.
• Proven success in innovative strategic and technical thinking, willingness to champion and challenge new technical ideas, and experience in applying work to real-world applications.
What we offer
Employees at UTRC-I enjoy a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team-based working environment. At UTRC you will be able to actively collaborate with national and international universities, work with research teams from other UTRC research centers around the globe, bring your ideas to life through our innovation pipeline process and work in many diverse technical domains ranging from building automation to aerospace.
UTRCI will provide a competitive compensation and benefits package to the successful candidate.
This position is based at UTRC's European hub in Cork, Ireland. To be eligible to apply, candidates must be legally entitled to work and reside in Ireland.
Candidates can apply online at: NA by selecting the "Job Postings (International)" option in the drop-down menu under "Careers".
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.