Why Choose AECOM?
AECOM is a premier, fully integrated professional and technical services firm positioned to design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets around the world for public- and private-sector clients. With nearly 100,000 employees - including architects, engineers, designers, planners, scientists and management and construction services professionals - serving clients in over 150 countries around the world, AECOM is ranked as the #1 engineering design firm by revenue in Engineering News-Record magazine's annual industry rankings, and has been recognized by Fortune magazine as a World's Most Admired Company. The firm is a leader in all of the key markets that it serves, including transportation, facilities, environmental, energy, oil and gas, water, high-rise buildings and government. AECOM provides a blend of global reach, local knowledge, innovation and technical excellence in delivering customized and creative solutions that meet the needs of clients' projects. A Fortune 500 firm, AECOM companies, including URS Corporation and Hunt Construction Group, have annual revenue of approximately $19 billion. More information on AECOM and its services can be found at NA.
About the Business Line
AECOM's Global Support Services (GSS) organization resides within AECOM's Government business line and is comprised of three divisions - International Development, Operations and Mission Support, and Global Programs. GSS has the international presence, personnel networks and procurement infrastructure to deliver support for any mission, anywhere. We optimize the reliability, availability and sustainability of equipment, logistics systems and facilities for clients around the world. GSS supports the U.S. Government, non-U.S. Governments and industry clients with worldwide program management, planning, design, operations and maintenance, logistics, aviation services, security, international development, environmental and civil engineering and mission and intelligence support.
AECOM Technical Services (TS) is seeking a Lead Structural Designer to be based in our Greenwood Village, CO location.
The Lead Structural Designer is responsible for initiating and developing engineering drawings through completion for assigned projects in conformance with the requirements, applicable codes, and design criteria established by the project's discipline engineers. The Lead Structural Designer must have experience in heavy industrial applications; skills in 3D modelling, Smart Plant, and Revit. This is a schedule driven project, requiring efficient independent professional to augment current staff.
- Works to project specifications and discipline-associated written and verbal instructions in accordance with established design practices, standards and procedures.
- Coordinates work with that of others in discipline group and other discipline groups on the project.
- Prepares complete information for design details, bill of materials, etc., that can be distributed to other design or draft personnel for completion.
- Understands project scope as presented within a specific discipline.
- Ensures that designs are consistent with project technical requirements and scope.
- Provides support for customer's engineering deliverables.
- Advises the Design Supervisor, Lead Designer or Supervising Discipline Engineer about status of assignment(s) with respect to schedule, budgets, delays and adverse problems.
- Checks assigned drawings supplied by vendors, customers and other discipline groups throughout the project to ensure quality designs.
- Provides technical guidance and assistance to other design and draft personnel and is responsible for neatness and accuracy of work.
- Ensures quality, quantity and completeness of the assigned design tasks.
- Plans and schedules design tasks associated with assigned project.
- Keeps proper files and records related to assigned design activities.
- Understands and uses computer software and applications associated with design assignments.
- Continually upgrades technical knowledge and capabilities and pursues additional coursework and training.
- Develops an understanding of the role of each of the other disciplines in Engineering.
- Supports alignment of customer and company objectives.
- Under minimal supervision, develops complex engineering drawings.
- Exercises sound judgment in assessing problem situations or complex design issues, and uses effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions.
- Basic understanding of engineer's process of performing and verifying design calculations to support the overall project design.
- Fully understands the purpose and use of vendor documents, reviews them for accuracy and resolves discrepancies. Also reviews discipline supplier documents and other discipline's supplier documents for accuracy.
- Fully understands the use of requisitions and the role of materials management and can review/advise on purchase orders and subcontracts.
- Leads or assists with the development of manpower, man-hour, and labor costs requirements for design staff and monitors data to aid in evaluating the budget intermediate knowledge of cost estimating methods and performs thorough and accurate material take-offs for the discipline.
- Full understanding of the discipline's equipment and material lists and instructs others in their use and requirements. Prepares designs and drawings using project specifications and discipline-associated written and verbal instructions in accordance with established design practices, standards, and procedures.
- Reviews completed work with design and drafting personnel responsible for its completion to ensure accuracy and compliance with codes and design data.
- Advises the Design Supervisor or Supervising Design Engineer (SDE) about status of assignment(s) with respect to schedule, budgets, delays, and adverse problems.
- Perform all other position related duties as assigned or requested.
- Qualified applicants who are offered a position must pass a pre-employment substance abuse test.
- May be required to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy security clearance
- Relocation benefits are not available for this position.
- Associates degree in an engineering discipline or equivalent experience;
- Ten or more years of experience;
- Knowledge of Smart Plant and general 3D modeling software, Microstation and PDS Frameworks.
- Skills in 3D modelling, Smart Plant, and Revit.
- Heavy industrial knowledge of steel and concrete design.
- Position may require travel.
- Due to the nature of the work, all candidates must be US citizens.
- Knowledge of equipment foundation systems and large equipment interface steel framing.
- Reinforced concrete mat and slab experience.
- Industrial and manufacturing experience.
- Some knowledge of Civil engineering software, surface modeling, profiles, and site design.
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow.
AECOM is an equal opportunity employer and Minorities, Females, Veterans, and Disabled persons are encouraged to apply. For further information, please click here to view the EEO Is The Law poster.