|Job Ref:||204784774||Employer:||cv-library.co.uk||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United Kingdom||County/State:||Oxfordshire||City:||Abingdon||Address:||Post Code:||OX14||Salary:||£50000/annum||Post Date:||13/10/2016 03:40|
Application Database Systems Engineer|
We are working with the countrys' fastest growing business. They are taking ultrafast broadband into rural communities across the UK. Their growth is fast and exciting and will continue to develop in this way as their projects and customer base increase.
The IT and Systems team is expanding and with this continuous growth in mind, they are looking to hire an Application Database Systems Engineer.
The ideal candidate will have experience in:
* Development of systems applications or automation tools, ideally using some of the following languages/environments: Python, Ruby, C/C++, Go, Rust, Scala
* Database administration and replication management (PostgreSQL/MySQL)
* Basic networking principles, technologies and protocols, including IPv4 and IPv6
* Core internet applications protocols such as DNS, NTP, TLS and DHCP
* Application and network security best practices
* Version control systems such as git and Subversion
* Puppet or similar configuration management tools
* Continuous integration, automated testing, and continuous deployment
The ideal candidate will be comfortable working in a small team environment and using methodologies such as source code management with git, pair programming, and code reviews. They will enjoy designing and building highly available systems for core infrastructure, and take pride in the reliability and maintainability of their work.
Scope of the role
The systems engineer role will form part of a small team in the business delivering reliable and tested systems for internal infrastructure and business systems. As the business is growing rapidly, the exact scope of the role will change over time, and you will be flexible and able to work within an agile work environment. An example of the tasks that we are currently looking for this role to cover are provided below.
* Work with colleagues in the networks team to support our IPv6 rollout in systems support
* Work with teams across the Technology department to design and implement new physical and virtual infrastructure that meets business requirements around availability and security
* Provide internal support for core systems including DHCP, DNS and NTP services
* Manage and maintain existing Linux based machines, including management of security patches, distribution upgrades, and configuration management systems/codebases
* Deploy host integrity monitoring tools and centralized auditing capabilities across our existing and new infrastructure
* Manage and improve Linux based systems integration with business systems, such as integration between DHCP/DNS servers and our customer provisioning system
* Assist in the deployment and enhancement of monitoring systems for core infrastructure, applications and the access network elements being built at Gigalcear
* Collaborate with external service providers and companies to enhance the reliability and security of third party systems (such as NETadmin and GAPS, our customer and CPE provisioning systems) deployed within our infrastructure
* Provide support for internal database platforms and systems services, primarily PostgreSQL/PostGIS applications
As part of this role there is a limited expectation for occasional out of hours working as required to support business requirements; this will be kept to a reasonable minimum. Examples might be for significant/high-risk system upgrades, major database upgrades or migrations, and similar.
If you are interested in this role and feel that you have all or most of the skills needed please apply today- we can't wait to hear from you