A contract WEAPONS/SYSTEMS ENGINEER is required to provide In country engineering support for Mid Life Update of a mine hunter vessel. To deliver defined tasks within the weapons engineering (WE) programme of work for the project.|
This will include defect rectification, the installation of modifications, systems commissioning and presentation for acceptance. To ensure that engineering information is fed through to line management to enable key engineering related risks and opportunities to be fully recognised and managed for projects (including emergent work, defects, modifications, integration and safety risks). To liaise closely with ship project staff regularly during the course of the project to ensure that emerging engineering issues and queries are identified, communicated and addressed through appropriate engineering channels. To support engineering assurance for the quality and integrity of weapons engineering production work in addition to formal quality related events.
KEY TECHNICAL SKILLS / PROVEN ABILITY
KEY TASKS AND ACTIVITIES
- An in depth knowledge across Naval Weapons Engineering equipment and systems.
- Proven ability of repair, maintenance and integration of ship WE systems and equipment
- Good technical knowledge of naval platforms and WE systems.
- Systems and equipment presentation for testing & trials
- Good understanding of UK MOD Design standards.
- Broad WE systems engineering background, with working knowledge of lead discipline (WE) engineering.
- The ability to quickly understand emergent issues resulting from system commissioning and systems of system integration, overseeing the sentencing and where appropriate resolution of these issues at the necessary levels (through to whole-ship system commissioning).
- Sound understanding of ship planned maintenance activities.
- The ability to work with an international team operating in a dockyard based ship delivery environment, encouraging a strong team ethos and engendering high performance culture.
- Good communication skills enabling technical discussions with customers, colleagues and suppliers at a working level.
- IT skills in - MS Office suite, Access and Visio.
- A proven track record of working for extended periods of time away from the UK on deployment would be a distinct advantage.
To provide the WE support for the day to day engineering activities required at the waterfront in Jubail, KSA in support of the Saudi Mid Life Update of a Mine hunter vessel.
These engineering activities include:
Additional Key Accountabilities would be:
- Supporting the timely investigation and rectification of emergent defects Providing technical support towards for the installation of modifications Systems commissioning (setting to work) and presentation for acceptance (harbour & sea trials) ensuring associated pre-requisites are in place and assuring readiness for trials & acceptance activities.
- Liaison between Portsmouth Engineering teams and the project to deliver engineering solutions.
- Work closely with Production Teams ensuring requirements are fully understood and output is of the required standard.
- Delivery of planned WE related maintenance tasks across all vessels within the MLU programme and the maintenance of associated records.
- Support effective delivery between Refit Production team and UK Engineering team.
- Support close working relationship with RSNF, SRF, MODSAP & RNP to engender trust and effective cooperation at appropriate level.
- Deputise for Waterfront Lead Engineer as required
- Support Opposite number in marine engineer (ME) role as required Support SHE, Product Safety and Quality Programmes & initiatives